Chapter 7

Chapter 7

(Anna’s P.O.V)

            I was sitting on a couch in the garage, with Bram on my lap, watching Leon’s band play. I had to admit, they were really talented, and this was coming from a very picky girl. They mostly did covers, but Cole’s voice was perfectly pitched and had a slightly rough edge giving it an awesome sound. And Leon, well… he was very good at guitar. I found myself blatantly staring at him and his fingers that were flying across the frets.

            As they finished the last song, I was still staring. I quickly snapped my gaze away before anyone noticed. They all looked over at me. Robby was the first to speak.

            “Well, how’d you like it?” He asked sounding slightly nervous.

            “That…” I started, “was completely awesome.” They all grinned at me.

            “Glad you liked it. I didn’t take you for a rocker.” Cole stated, looking at me curiously.

            I smiled wryly at that. “Most people don’t…that’s what you get for assuming, you little prick.” I had said it obviously just joking with him. He just blinked, and stared at me, shocked. Robby and Leon started cracking up. I just raised an eyebrow, feeling that I had missed something.

            Robby saw my confused expression and tried to explain through his laughter, “No girl has ever insulted him, even kidding.”

            “Yeah,” Leon said, looking over at Cole who was still slightly dazed, “I think he’s still in shock.”

            “Let me guess: he’s just so hot that no girl would ever even dream of hurting her chances by insulting him.” I smiled, it had been so long since I had had this much fun. By now Leon and Robby were leaning on each other, gasping for air.

            “Oh, and you don’t find me attractive?” Cole questioned, snapping out of his shock-induced trance.

            I pretended to look him over, “Well, you’re not ugly…” I trailed off suggestively.

            He pouted like a five-year-old. Leon piped up, “Sorry, bro. Can’t have every one wrapped around your finger.”

            Bram decided to interject then, and with a confused look on his face asked “Why would she be on his finger?” This sent everyone into fresh fits of laughter at his cuteness. After we had settled down a bit, Cole grabbed Bram and started flying him around and eventually into the house. Robby and Leon didn’t leave right away, until a loud crash came from inside. They raced in. I hung back and stared at the beautiful guitar Leon had been playing. I knelt down next to the stand and brushed my fingers across the strings shivering at the pleasant and fairly familiar sensation.

            “Do you play?” I jumped at Leon’s soft voice behind me. Embarrassed at having been caught, I stood up quickly.

            “Oh, uh, no. I-I’m sorry.” I said. The old fears came rushing back, sending a wave of nausea through me. Logically, I knew he wouldn’t hurt me, but fear often isn’t rational. “Excuse me,” I mumbled, rushing past him. I ran up the stairs, receiving curious looks from Robby and Cole. I locked the door behind me, my back against it, and slid to the floor. I pulled my knees to my chest and tried to control the sobs racking my body. Images flashed through my mind. Getting caught by Dad, snooping in his office. The brutal punch to my face. He left for a moment, and then came back in carrying something. I didn’t comprehend what he was doing at first. He took my bow and violin out of their case. He snapped the bow in two against his knee. Then he laid my precious violin down on the ground. I knew what was going to happen next.