Chapter Eleven

The argument had turned into a fight. Rod and Phoenix aggressively pushed and shoved each other, turning over several chairs and knocking over a few ornaments from the mantelpiece. Bernard, scared out of his wits, had scuttled underneath the dining table. Despite Rod's tall physique towering over the little man, I could tell he felt intimidated. Corby was still crying in my arms, more out of fear and frustration rather than sadness and grief.

"...Ever since I've know you, you've caused nothing but trouble!"

"Trouble? Look who's talking! You always thought you were superior to everyone, as if your height took you above the rest of us! You're pathetic, Roderick! Always have been! A pathetic excuse for an Orrekian!"

"I don't believe that I am superior to anyone, and neither do my race! How dare you insult my kind in this manner!"

Phoenix clawed and bit at Rod's legs. I would have found this amusing if not for the seriousness of the situation.

The noise grew louder. Rod and Phoenix' screamed, Corby continued to cry, Bernard's teeth were chattering, Julian's door creaked. I longed for silence again in that mind aching noise!

Even though Julian watched the commotion from his doorway in complete silence, I saw anger creep across his stern face. His attitude to situations was most peculiar; any usual person would demand that silence was restored. His mind was perfect for conducting secret plans, which combined with his extreme power, could destroy anything. He was most definitely capable of killing us all.

After minutes of watching the commotion, Julian charged into the living room. Neither Rod nor Phoenix had spotted him as they were so busy insulting each other. He walked to a spot in the middle of the floor, stayed still for a few moments and suddenly flung both of his arms out to his sides. I could see purple swirls forming at his fingertips and his eyes were sparkling with violet. By quickly flinging his arms, Julian had magically thrown both Rod and Phoenix to opposite sides of the room. Purple sparks flew as Rod hit the wall where a large painting of a round woman hung against it and Phoenix hit against the staircase. Both were stunned but regained their composure and glared at Julian.

"You idiots! Don't you realise that Madame is in the other room? All of this noise will be doing her no good! I can barley think, imagine what it's doing to her!" Julian spat as he yelled.

Purple misty magic disappeared from his hands as he lowered his arms, and the purple vortex in his eyes faded. Julian suddenly staggered backwards, but I quickly rushed up behind him and steadied his fall. I didn't quite know why, considering he frightened me so much. He was also considerably taller than me, but I managed to steady his legs. He ignored my assistance and pushed me away. He must have felt extremely weak as a nine-year-old human girl stopped him from falling.

                                                                                   ---

The magic force had knocked the last ounce of fight from Phoenix and Rod. Julian sat in the corner, Rod and I next to each other, Corby on small chair, and Phoenix in the kitchen, scavenging on any leftover pieces of food. The way that pig ate made me feel sick to my stomach.

"So, Julian my boy, finally coming out of your bedroom I see... Don't you know it's rude to hide away when there is a guest present in the house? Not a very polite chap are you Julian?"

Julian said nothing and simply stared at the flames in the fireplace. Phoenix was like a little bully. No, he was a little bully. If he didn't get any response from his first victim, then he would move on to the next. Unluckily for me, I was the next person he wished to taunt.