Chapter Eighteen

The room erupted with disagreements.

Great. Why couldn't there be a beautiful princess, dressed in fine silks riding a top a silver unicorn with all of the knowledge that we needed? Or a peace-loving, divine angel? It had to be something unnerving...I understood that the Dark must be bad...but I had no idea exactly how dangerous or evil it was. But like Angus reiterated, the MDG had tried everything. I looked into the bright yellow eyes of Konane Raveadox and I shivered.

Corby looked terrified. He was always scared for one reason or another, either terrified for his life or his dignity. I could see Sweetest trembling. Rod had not moved from the dining table; he stared at Angus with astonishment. Clearly, this was unsettling to all... to think, these beings with such wondrous, magical power... and their magic couldn't even help them locate the time device. How desperately unfair and difficult everything seemed.

"I understand how you feel about this, and believe me, I do not want to do this! But what choice do we have, Konane?"

"Angus, we have children present with us. If something were to go wrong — again — what if they were injured? Or what if we were all killed? What if we were killed and the children left behind? The nightmares would haunt them for the rest of their lives!"

"We have a child with us, one girl. You forget, Corby is older than even the likes of even yourself! From what I've heard, Genevieve can handle it. She can handle anything. She can handle herself, cant you dear?"

All eyes were on me. I stared at Angus, unable to answer his question. How could I answer such a confusing question, I hadn't any idea what I would be getting myself into!

"Enough! Leave Genevieve out of this, can't you see she is terrified?" Soon Madame was by my side, holding onto my shoulder supportively. Angus looked slightly ashamed and he turned back to face Konane.

"Listen to me. I am the true and only leader of the Magical Defence Government. I've tried kindness, now it appears I must use force. I am opening the portal, and if you won't help me then I will do it myself. So, are you with me, or are you going to..."

"Would you like to know what happened the last time oh great Marcello commanded us to call on the Dark?" Konane stared directly at me, his face full of fear and anger. Angus stared in astonishment at Konane for several moments, but regained his composure and astonishment turned to anger.

"That is enough, you are going beyond the..."

"Well, would you or wouldn't you? Answer me girl!" My eyes were prickling with tears. Slowly, I nodded my head and swallowed the lump forming in my throat. The group were totally speechless; all they did was stare at Konane, waiting for him to speak and the memories to flood back.

"The Dark, the magic we called upon was so strong, it overtook the light within a matter of moments... our magic was pushed aside like a child's toy...we lost control immediately. Demon's tried to attack the household. One of our members was killed...they, they tore his...they ripped him... my eyes...they burned and sizzled, the liquid poured down my cheeks..." Konane was struggling not to collapse into tears. Angus attempted once again to seize control.

"Konane, enough of this, you..."

"Ever since that night my eyes have been cursed...all I see is demons, constant images of demons, torture and death...the pain, it's too...too..." Konane wept into his wife's arms as Rio whimpered and snuggled close to his crying master.

Angus stared at his fellow member. He tried to keep a stern look on his face. Most of the members were staring at the ground in shame.

Rod came to my side, hugging me as tears fell down my face. I could not bare it, the thought of something so unbelievably grotesque. Madame also hugged me for support. I could see anger and annoyance building up in Angus's eyes.