Detours

Dakota quietly got off her bed, and walked out of the hotel room. It was early in the morning, the sun hadn't even come up yet and Dakota could not go back to sleep. Walking quietly through the halls, she stifled a yawn and rubbed her eyes. Insomnia seemed to be on her plate, along with childish teenagers. She wondered how long Jackie and Aaliyah hated each other and how the others dealt with the way they act with each other. Dakota was taken out of her reverie when a white haired kitten shuffled closer to her and rubbed itself on her ankle. The red-head smiled, the cat was so cute. She bent down and scooped the kitten up in her arms and bought it closer to her face.

"Hi there little fella. You are just the cutest thing!". She pet the cat and it purred, before it squirmed and jumped out of her hands. Before it touched the ground, the kitten shifted and a blushing Micah took its place. Dakota flushed, she did not just pet Micah.

"Sorry. I uh, called you, but you didn't hear me and that was the only way I could get your attention, cause like, who doesn't like kittens?", the shifter rambled, scratching her cheek. Dakota chose not to acknowledge that and kept walking, Micah walking into step beside her.

"So you couldn't sleep either?", Micah asked her. Dakota nodded.

"Is it cause of what we're going to do later? You know, finding that kid, Max.".

Dakota furrowed her brows. "I don't really know. I think it's kinda weird how he's so young but I don't think that's why I couldn't sleep". Micah nodded, accepting that answer. The shifter noticed that they had left the hotel and now were walking the same way they had when they went exploring a few days ago. She did not question the other girl though, she figured Dakota was taking a walk to clear her mind. Rubbing her arms, Dakota huffed.

"Are you cold?", Micah asked her, looking at the short sleeve shirt and sweatpants the girl was wearing.

Dakota nodded, "Aren't you?". Micah shook her head. Dakota pouted, and crossed her arms. Taking a chance, Micah wrapped her arm around the red-head's shoulder and brought her closer. Dakota blushed and mumbled a "Thank you". Micah smiled, pleased with herself.

"Tell me something about you no one knows?", she asked the half-elf.

Dakota bit her lip, thinking. "Um, my favorite color is red."

Micah chuckled. "Like your hair. Wait no one knew that was your favorite color?"

Dakota nodded. "No one asked. What's your favorite color?"

Micah blushed. "Well sometimes it changes. But the color I like now, I think is permanent."

"What color is it?"

Micah stared deeply into her eyes with an unclear expression on her face. "Green.". Dakota instantly flushed. "Like my eyes.".

Micah smirked and then chuckled. "Yeah, like your eyes.". The girls kept walking around New Orleans, asking each other random questions.

"Favorite animal?"

"Uhh, foxes, but I've never shifted into one. I never had the need to. Favorite movie?"

"I love the one you showed me last time. The Rugrats Movie".

"What do elves, like do? Like what's your power?"

"Magic. I can't really explain much of that. We can't live forever, but we can live centuries and like, all elves are good at archery."

Micah laughed. "Oh really? Bows and arrows, how scary.".

Dakota pouted. "It is scary!"

"Oh yeah, I'm shaking in my shoes. Watch out, I just peed myself". But then the questions got more serious. Dakota ended up revealing the story of her and Skylar, and her and Ariana, when asked if she'd ever been in love. Dakota was too shy to ask Micah personal questions, so she kept them light, like asking Micah her favorite food, which she found out was lasagna.