On The Road Again

When Aaliyah woke up the next morning, she quickly glanced at the other bed in her room. Noticing it was empty already, she sighed, annoyed that she didn't catch Micah before she left. After the shifter and Dakota returned yesterday, the pair have been alarmingly quiet. It concerned her so much she ended up switching rooms with Alison so she could keep an eye out on the shifter. The fiery girl knew something changed in their dynamic, but hasn't had a moment to confront the shifter and ask her about it. It wasn't like she was going to ask Dakota. As much as she wanted to figure out what happened, she'd like it better if her best friend could be the one to tell her. Packing the last of her things, Aaliyah dragged her suitcase off the bed and left the room, making her way to the lobby. They were leaving New Orleans to find Max in North Carolina. As Aaliyah neared the lobby, she spotted some of her friends in the middle, talking animatedly. Making her way to Alison, glanced around and noticed not all of her friends were there.

"Where's Micah, Kota, and Zayn?", she interrupted Alison. The short haired girl stretched as she answered. "They already went to the van. I think Dakota asked Zayn if she could just wait in the car but they just followed her there", she answered. Aaliyah's eyebrows furrowed together. Everyone else just shrugged and they made their way out of the hotel. When they got to the van, nobody was in the driver's seat, instead Dakota was looking out the window, sitting near the front with Zayn and Micah seated behind her, laughing at something on Zayn's phone. Jackie quickly took the opportunity to sit next to the red-headed half-elf, almost stepping on Soren's foot as he attempted to head towards her too. Aaliyah just rolled her eyes and patted his back, motioning for him to sit next to her.

"Wait so who's driving?", Bianca asked, sitting against the window in the back. All the kids quieted, looking at the only two who actually had a license. Zayn and Jackie narrowed their eyes at each other.

"I called dibs on not driving, remember?", the boy reminded the mind reader, who just pouted and looked to the girl next to her. Dakota offered her nothing and just shrugged.

"Daaamn it", Jackie complained, sliding out of her seat and making her way to the front. Alison laughed at her as she sat on the passenger side, causing Jackie to glare at her. 

"How far is North Carolina anyways", Jackie asked no one in particular. Alison reached towards the van's dashboard and typed into the navigation system.

"Hmm, about 13 hours. I'll drive in a couple of hours if you want, let's just pray I don't get pulled over" she said jokingly.

Veronica piped up from next to her sister, "It's not like most of us haven't been driving this whole time without our licenses. I'm sure we'll be fine.". Nobody objected as Jackie drove out of the lot.

__________________________________________________________

"Where the hell are we going to sleep tonight", Aaliyah asked from behind the steering wheel. Dakota yawned from the passenger side and rubbed her face, trying to wake up. Everybody else was still sleeping, as it was almost 3 in the morning. The half-elf yawned again and pointed to a motel they were just about to miss. Rapidly jerking the wheel, Aaliyah aggressively turned into the lot and successfully woke everyone else up too, some yelling in surprise at how they were woken up.

"Jeez, now I see why you never got your license", Jackie said snarkily from the back.

"Actually, I do have my license, I just love seeing you suffer", Aaliyah cheekily replied, which garnered a glare in response. Micah grinned at her friend, knowing everyone but Jackie knew the other girl was one of the first to get her license.

"That's fucked up", Jackie muttered, falling back into her seat. Everyone gathered their things together as Aaliyah found a parking spot, ready to fall back asleep on an actual bed. Zayn, being one of the oldest at twenty-one, was really the only one who could book a room, so before they went on their journey, Dakota gave him a stack of money that she inherited from her parents. It was the only thing she had left of them. As they checked in, Soren drifted next to Dakota and gestured for her to step back from the group.

"Are you okay?", he whispered.

Dakota just shrugged. "Sleepy really. I'm just ready to find Max. Have you gotten any more visions?".

Soren shook his head, "Not really, no.".

Dakota sighed. "Maybe we should have Jackie look inside your head". Soren vehemently shook his at her suggestion.

"I don't want her in my head again".

"Why?", the red-head asked. Soren snuck a peek at the group in front of them and then turned back to Dakota.

"I saw something when she was in my head. It was.... Kind of alarming and now I feel as though she shouldn't be trusted", Soren said apologetically. The other half-elf looked bewildered.

"What do y-"

"Woo-hooo", Zayn interrupted, trying to get their attention. "We're all set guys, I'm ready to lay in a real bed again". Dakota gave Soren a look that meant their conversation wasn't over, and started to follow the rest of the group to their respective rooms.