Chapter 4 ~A Month Later~

It's been a month since I came up in the box, since I met the Gladers, and since I became one of them. Today, I heard that we are about to welcome a new glader into the family.

"Minho, can I please not run today?" I ask Minho. He looks at me surprised. He knows that every chance I would get to run the maze, I'll take it. Everyone knows that already. I know it seems weird because this is the first I've ever asked this kind of favor.

"Why, greenie? Chickening out?" he jokes once he recovered from his surprised state. I roll my eyes.

"No. And I'm not the greenie, anymore, remember?"

"Oh yeah, yeah, I remember. That's why you want to stay?"

"Yup. I want to take the new greenie around. You know, give him the tour  instead of Alby doing it." I shrug. He shakes his head laughing.

"What's so funny?" I snap at him, making him stop.

"Be careful, he might need to be knocked out to calm down, like someone here." he fake coughs then says my name in between those fake coughs. I glare at him and start messing up his hair. He grabs my hand and lets out an exaggerated gasp.

"How dare you?! My precious hair!" he shouts while fixing his hair. I scoff at him.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Sass Queen." I say sarcastically. I purposely said mister and queen. I walk back to the homestead, thinking of what I should do while I wait for the new greenie. I really hope it's a girl.

I know that Alby doesn't allow anyone to slack off, and I dont want to get a lecture today. Deciding to just help in the gardens, I change my direction and head towards Newt.

"Newt, I'm not running today. So I'll help here." I say plainly, not waiting for him to respond. I grab a bucket and quickly head to the deadheads. Newt shouts a thank you to me, I just raise my thumb at him.

The way to the fertilizers makes me feel sick. No matter how many times I pass the skulls scattered around the trees, I still feel like puking. I always wonder if one day, my skull will be one of these.

I shake my head, removing the morbid thought off my head. I start digging up some fertilizer and put them in the bucket. My imagination start again. I start imagining about the greenie. A guy with beautiful eyes, shiny hair, sexy body, great personali— Wait.. Why am I thinking of those things?

I facepalm at my stupidity. Turning back to my task, I shovel up some fertilizer. I wipe the sweat off my forehead. I lift up the bucket before running back to the gardens.

"Hey, Newt, what else can I—what's going on?" I stop in my tracks. No one is in the garden. I put the bucket down and look around. Everyone is crowding over the place the box. I run towards them and join in the crowd.

"Is it a girl?" I ask expectantly. Ben turns around, shaking his head. I frown. Being the only girl here is getting really boring. I can't talk about certain things with others.

"Help him up, Gally!" I hear Newt shout from inside the box. Gally walks over to the edge and pulls someone up. A guy with black hair and a muscular body comes up from the box.

"He looks like a builder to me." Frypan, standing beside me, says. I walk up to Alby and tap his shoulder.

"I change my mind about the tour thing. You do it instead, Alby." I whisper to him. Everyone else welcomes the new greenie while I walk back to the homestead.

◌◉◌◉◌◉◌◌◎◌◎◌◎◌

"Hey, (Y/N). Alby called for you. Time for you to make the new greenie a hammock." Newt informs me. I stop cutting the roots of a stump and drop the machete. I sigh. All I want to do is be around nature for a while, not a questioning machine.