The Tree

Maia's P.O.V

This morning I was out of bed at five. I had gotten dressed in a black and red flannel, jeans, black converse, and a grey beanie. I was dressing pretty nice for school. Was it for school though? Or was it for someone? Today I was walking to school with Zack. I threw my backpack over my shoulder before walking out my front door.
"Hey Maia-chu"
I smiled at the name.
"Sup Zack-a-Flap"
He laughed.
"Never call me that again."
"Okay Zack-a-Flap"
We laughed.
"Come on"
We walked along the sidewalk, catching up on life.
"Say "I love you" in French"
I looked up at him.
"Uh... je t'aime"
He looked back.
"Cool."
I looked down.
"We're here day dreamer."
I punched his arm playfully. Walking into the courtyard I saw Sean. Amazing.
"HEYYYYYYYYY MICKKKKK"
Zack raised a eyebrow.
"Whose mick...?"
I blushed.
"Don't ask"
We walked to a table and sat down.
"So... you two walked to school together?"
I nodded. Giggles.
"What's so funny."
All eyes darted to Sean.
"I SHIP IT"
Sean then ran off. Leaving me and Zack blushing with a bunch of giggling girls.
BING
Everyone got up and walked to their classes.

~After School~

"So I'm going to your house to study for the test right?"
I looked beside me to Zack.
"Of course Maia-Chu"
I looked down before I remembered.
"The tree..."
"What?"
"I wanna show you something!!"
I gripped his wrist and ran off with him. Down the sidewalk, cross the road, past my house, past his house, through the woods, near the creek, and to a tree. The tree. Our tree.
"Maia what is this?"
"Look up."
Zack followed orders and looked up at a slightly bent branch. Not damaged or changed.
"This is the tree I was stuck in when you moved."
Don't
"It was the last memory of you."
Don't
"Ya know, you moved right before your birthday so I never got to see that birthday party."
Don't you dare.
"I-I never got to really say goodbye."
Please Don't.
"I-I missed you-you-you dweeb!"
Next thing I know I was crying.
"Maia.."
He opened his arms. Being the sobbing mess I was, I threw myself into his arms. Huddled into his chest while he wrapped his arms around me. It wasn't awkward hugging. It was nice. Comforting. He rubbed little circles around my back. It was nice.

Zacks P.O.V

I hated seeing her like this. Sad. Since we were little. When she cried from falling off that swing. I promised to keep her happy.
"Hey let's go to my house so we can study okay?"
She nodded shyly before we walked to my house. Our hands were in twined. It wasn't being romantic. I think. My heart felt... light? I guess that was the right word. I felt better with her. When we reached my house we quickly walked up to my room so my parents didn't question us. We set our bags down then pulled out our text books.
"We can sit on my bed..."
She sat down and I sat next to her.
"Page 204"
She said quietly. Didn't seem like she wanted to study much. I closed my book.
"Wanna play Mario Kart?"
Her eyes lit up.
"Heck yeah!"
I chuckled and walked over to my Wii.
"You still have a Wii loser?"
"Yes I do I'm very up with the trends."
She giggled and I put the disc in. There we sat. On my bedroom floor. Playing Mario Kart for an hour.
"DON'T THROW A SHELL AT ME"
"YOUR NOT MY MOM!"
I crossed the finish line. First place. Again.
"Screw You Zack-a-Flap"
"You love me"
"No I don't"
We laughed on the floor for a while.
"This was fun."
"Yeah."
We stared into each others eyes. It seemed like forever. I felt calm around her. Maybe I was in love with her.

Just maybe.