A New Melody

When I finished with the last touches for dinner I grabbed three bowls and I brought them out to the living room. I could see the look of anticipation on both Ellie and Lucy, I couldn't blame them as it had been awhile since I had this myself. I gave them their bowls and I placed mine next to Lucy.

"Who's hungry? Ah you look hungry there."

"I am! I'm really hungry!"

"It has been awhile since we ate, it does smell good."

I grinned at their responses and headed back into the kitchen to grab them forks, a pair of tongs to grab the noodles, and a pot holder. After bringing those out I came back to grab the pot of noodles, it wasn't going to be fun with the injury. It wouldn't hurt that much if I just held the handle with my fingers but the pull would still irritate the wound.

"The things I do for those two."

I grabbed both handles while taking the right one into my fingers I brought out the pot and I saw the look of slight concern on Lucy's expression but once she saw I had it under control she just sighed and closed her eyes. Once I placed the pot on the holder I gave them a victorious smirk and I got in a proud pose.

"I present to you...The O'Dyna Special!"

"Their noodles with pieces of beef? I thought it was something bigger."

My ego deflated just like that and Ellie just laughed at my expression. I stood up straight and gave Lucy a cocky smirk.

"They are big, big in flavor. Just try them and you will see why I was the head chef back at my old job!"

"Very well."

I took their bowls and scooped an equal amount in both and gave them back their bowls. I folded my arms across my chest and watched as they had their first bite. Instantly their eyes widened and they looked back at the noodles.

"It's...this is..."

"The best thing I ever had!"

Both Lucy and I looked at Ellie to see her start eating faster and she didn't show any signs of stopping, I feared she would eat the bowl too. I looked back at Lucy who was looking down at her bowl and when she looked up at me I grinned at her.

"So what do you think Lucy, pretty good huh."

"I think Ellie said it for both of us. I didn't expect for you to make noodles of all things taste this good."

"I'm glad you like it."

With that I scooped some into my bowl and we started eating together. As I ate I couldn't help but watch the expressions of my new family. Ellie had a contagious smile as she ate and Lucy once again had her eyes closed and a blank expression. The only time she opened her eyes was when I refilled her bowl. I wasn't that hungry but I made enough for each of us to have three bowls if we wanted, although I had a feeling the pieces of beef would make them get full faster than just the noodles only.

"Hey big brother, I have a question."

"What's up?"

"How come you learned to cook so well? You cook way better than mommy ever did."

I smiled and placed my fork in my bowl and sat up against the couch.

"Well my mother was someone who didn't want me to grow up expecting women to do everything in the house. You see when she was young her father was the type of person who always thought the women stay at home and take care of the house while men went to work. My mother didn't take kindly to that part of her childhood so she made it a point to raise me different than the people that raised her father. My mother had me learning how to wash my own clothes, repair anything that was broken such as doors or windows, cooking, pretty much anything both genders can do."