Chapter 12: Sick

It has been about a week since I've had Ian over for dinner. Things between us has pretty much been the same, with the exception of a few flirty gestures, and work has been busy... and that's putting it lightly. We've performed three surgeries, helped with two ER treatments, and hospitalized five patients that we check on after work. Today is Friday and it is the slowest day we've had all week and we were taking full advantage of it. Me and Ian both were sitting in our office, watching The Simpson's Movie while eating some food we grabbed from the cafeteria. We weren't really paying much attention to the movie, but it was still some nice and calming background noise while we told some embarrassing stories.

"Wait, you what?"

"I accidentally got my patients charts switched and almost prescribed the wrong medications. Thank God I caught myself in time or I could've had my license revoked for malpractice." Ian took another bite of his chicken salad sandwich before speaking again.

"God, that must've been embarrassing."

"It was." Ian snorted a bit.

"Imagine the gossip that went around from Betty and Trisha!"

"Oh God, don't even get me started! It was my first week on my own and I had already switched up charts and got the whole hospital talking about me. I wanted to quit, but Jesse and I had just gotten Maya and we needed the money to take care of a 3-month-old child. So, I stayed, worked my ass off, and now I'm the most respected surgeon here in this hospital with a beautiful daughter." Ian smiled and took a bite of his food, focusing his attention to the movie that was playing on our television. I began to pay attention to the movie as well, eating a few bites of my salad while doing so. We both then went silent. After work at the clinic, Ian and I checked on our hospitalized patients and walked out into the parking lot together like we always do.

"You wanna come over tonight?" I asked him, leaning up against my car. He shook his head.

"I would, but I just really want to go home and relax today." I chuckled.

"You've been relaxing all day. Work was nothing today."

"I know, but I want to keep the trend going for the rest of the day. Besides, I just got a new book from Hastings the other day and I've been DYING to read it."

"Okay then, but you're missing out on Rae's mashed potatoes today. They're amazing." Ian giggled.

"I'm sure they are, but I really want to read this book." I sighed one last time.

"Fine. "

"See you tomorrow, Anthony." Ian said, standing up on his tip-toes to place a kiss on my cheek. It caught me off guard, but I loved the small gesture and smiled anyway. I really like the way he shows affection, but at the same time it feels kinda wrong. I don't want him to feel like I'm leading him on or anything.

"See ya." I said back to him, rubbing my flushed cheek and getting into my car. When I stepped through the front door back at home, I expected Maya to come attack me with hugs like she does everyday, but she never did. That's odd. I then walked into the living room to see Maya laying on the couch asleep, bundled up in her fluffy princess blanket while one of her favorite movies played on the TV. This was even more odd because Maya doesn't usually take naps... I then went into the kitchen where Rae was.

"Why is Maya asleep?" I asked her before she even had a chance to greet me as she always does.

"She said that she was tired so I let her take a nap." My fatherly instincts instantly kicked in.

"She's not sick, is she?"

"Well, she was a little warm when she came home from school, but I checked her temperature and she was fine."