- preview ( i )

"Sister, you have quite the nerve to be walkin' 'round here."

"Brother, I ain't ever heard of someone needing nerve to go out and buy some groceries."

I ain't never seen a man go so red with anger—or at all, as Mama had it—as preacher man did when Rivka threw those words at him. He must 'a never been bested that way before in his life, but wasn't about to stop there. No, no; not when he had an audience for this.

"Oh, I see the nerve in it," he barreled on, "I see you walkin' 'bout and spreadin' your evil about you. Why! Look there; you damn near kidnapped that poor girl as she was coming off the bus!"

He turned a righteous finger over in my direction, green eyes wide and frantic as he looked my way. I didn't see a reason to accuse the woman in front of him; she done no more than catch me as I slipped on a step. I reckon I woulda cracked my head open if it weren't for her. But preacher man wasn't having that notion. He wanted something vile, tryin' rile her up like there weren't no tomorrow.

"Ha! Now I'm a kidnapper!" Rivka let out a bitter laugh, short and barking. "Yesterday, I was a cradle robber. Today, a kidnapper! You's a funny man, Marsellas; I'll give you that."

//pro tip: never agitate a witch. here's a preview of the first chapter, little witchlings. I just wanna let y'all know that I really would love feedback for this, since I'm trying something out with style here. I don't mind if you just comment to tell me you hate it ( but I'd appreciate some reasoning behind it ) or to point out anything you feel you need to. I really appreciate it when y'all do. cheers, rem.