-3-

I was nervous. So to overcome the fear of a girl, I reminded myself to be the usual outspoken person I was. 

"Hi." My voice was stronger than I expected it to be. I stood in the doorway and her back was to me. 

She turned, those dazzling eyes of hers settling on my face. The girl didn't say anything. 

"You know," I started, "It's pretty rude to ignore someone." 

A small smile tugged at her lips. I secretly triumphed inside from her reaction.

"What's your name?" I ignored the silent reply. 

"Andrea." Was all she said. I loved the sound of her voice. "But never call me Andrea."

I raised an eyebrow. "Then what do you want me to call you?"

"Andy." 

I nodded. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Andy. How old are you?"

"What is this, twenty questions?" Dark eyebrows raised, she crossed her arms.

"No." I shrugged. "Just curious."

Andy sat on her bed, a small squeak letting out. "I'm ten. But don't let the age fool you."

"I would've said the same." I blinked. How perfect was she?

She nodded, slipping out of her jacket and tossing it on her bed. 

"Andy?" I asked. 

She looked at me. "Yeah?"

"I want to be best friends." 

Andy bit her lip, standing and crossing her arms once more. "Turn."

"What?"

"Spin around." She explained. 

My eyebrows furrowed, but I did as directed slowly. Once done spinning in a circle, I raised an eyebrow as her eyes studied me. 

"I'll be your best friend," Andy started, but held up a finger once a smile made it's way to my face, "On two conditions."

Conditions?

"You have to love chocolate and hate cats." 

I grinned, holding out my hand to seal the deal. 

She took it, shaking it with a fierce look in her eyes. 

I was in love, I swear. 

                                                                                   ----------------------

We were Miss's worst nightmare. If she thought I was bad alone, imagine two troublemakers sneaking around behind her back. 

"Why do I always see you two at the scene?" Miss squinted at the both of us, who in fact, were covered in a foamy white substance.

Andy had the brilliant idea of filling Miss's bed with shaving cream, which we borrowed from the fifty year old neighbor. 

I remembered him peering at the two of us, the bottle of impending mischief in hand, "Now, what would the two of you want with shaving cream? Caleb, you're a little young for shaving huh?"

My reply was instant. "Experimenting, sir."

A nod came from his end, then a settling gaze on Andy. "And you? Experimenting as well?"

"Oh no, sir. I'm just planning on making sure he doesn't get into any trouble."

"Fair enough." Our neighbor nodded, handing the bottle to Andy. "Be careful, guys."

We were careful, alright. Shortly after, we peeled Miss's cover off the bed and inscribed our names on the blue sheets. And us, being ten year olds, got carried away.

Andy started it first, I swear. I was sprayed with the shaving cream, then it turned into a battle. Pretty soon the room, Miss's bed, and ourselves were covered in white.

So she squinted with hands on her hips and said, "Why do I always see you two at the scene?"

"I was supervising him." Andy raised a devious eyebrow, daring Miss to catch her obvious bluff. 

"Caleb has barely grown an inch in the past year, let alone hair on his face. Nice try." We were awarded the lovely job of kitchen duty for two weeks--which meant clearing of the table and dishes after every meal. The job alone was torture, but it was fun with Andy. She always made things fun. 

The night before our first day of school, I admit that it was the first time I had ever seen Andy unsure of herself. l could tell she was nervous. 

I remember sitting on her bed the night before, sensing her emotions. "It's not that bad. You'll be in my class, so you don't have to be worried."

She didn't answer. I watched her pinch her bedspread, rubbing it between her fingers while her eyes stayed permanently glued to what she was distracting herself with. 

"Andy?" 

Her bright emerald eyes finally met mine. "I haven't been to school in awhile." 

"Well, neither have I." I joked. It was summer time when she came to live with all of us. 

"No," her tone was firm, "I mean, I've never been to school."

I raised my eyebrows. "Never?"

Andy shook her head.

My mouth and eyes were wide in shock. "You're so lucky."

I made her grin. 

But something still didn't make sense to my ten year old brain. "But wait, what did you do when you were supposed to be in school?"

Her grin slipped away, followed by a shrug that draped her purple T-shirt over her collarbone. A light pink scar the size of a finger imprinted her skin. "My dad said I was smart enough, so I didn't have to go to school."

"Your dad seems really cool.." I trailed off, my eyes not leaving the mark on her collarbone. 

She took note into my trailing tone, noticing my directed gaze and pulling her shirt back up. A loud sigh and a shake of her head brought back to the normal personality I was used to. 

"Well," She pulled herself up from her slouched and vulnerable position, crossing her arms, "You better stay with me tomorrow. Don't leave me."

I wouldn't ever dream of leaving her. I shook my head, holding out my hand for a promising handshake. "I promise."

The first day of school passed with many to come. 

A/N: Happy Sunday!