- 16 -

You'd think the letter would stay in my mind for days, weeks even. But I swear to you, once the anger resinated through the emotion center of my brain, I was done with thinking about her. For good. Okay, maybe not for good. But I went about my life as easy as I could, and I noticed as I went on acting like nothing happened, she was pushed aside. I even tried with other girls. 

But there was just some girls that I needed to let go. Can you guess who? Jessica. She reminded me too much of Andy-related incidents, and I needed to get rid of my past Foster sibling. 

"You're..breaking up with me?" She exclaimed too loudly in the hallway. 

I cringed by my locker, trying to ignore the curiously turning heads that passed our way. 

She blinked her wide mascara-caked Bambi eyes, waiting for my response. 

I struggled for a sane reply. "I just think we've...grown apart." 

Jessica tucked her hair behind one ear, swallowing hard. "But I love you."

I froze. Love? My heart began to race. But my player-like qualities stepped forward, saving me from an awkward silence. "I know, but this is the best thing to do for the both of us." 

Good save, Caleb. 

"How can it be the best thing when we're not together?" She sniffed, readjusting her designer backpack. 

Jesus. The girl just couldn't quit. I composed my irritation, placing a hand on her shoulder and looking into her eyes. "We'll always have something." 

She seemed to except that. Nodding, I watched her lean forward and place her lips on mine. I kissed her back, pulling away after a few moments. 

I watched her sling her bag over her shoulder, walking away and down the hallway. Her hips seemed to have more of a sway to them, as if she wanted me to notice her butt and what I'd be missing. 

I rolled my eyes, slamming my locker door shut and heading to class. Once I fell into my chair for morning English, Ben's voice interrupted my lovely peace. 

"Dude," He started, "What is wrong with you?"

"Sorry?" 

He blinked like I was crazy. "Tell me you didn't just end things with Jessica."

"I ended things with Jessica."

Ben sputtered, his mouth dropping. "You broke up with one of the hottest girls in school? Are you crazy?"

"She's probably one of the most boring girls I've ever been with." I said simply, taking out my notebook and pretending to look interested in my "notes."

He sighed slowly and paused. "You need to get over it."

I looked at him. "Get over what?"

"Andy." Ben pulled his blue long sleeve up to his elbows. "You're not gonna find someone else like her, so you might as well just stop comparing every girl to what isn't available anymore."

I stared. "Fuck you."

Ben sat back like he'd been slapped. "What?"

"You heard me," I said, snapping my book closed and slipping it inside my backpack. He watched me as I stood, stunned. "If you want a girl like Jessica, no one is stopping you. Just be prepared to talk about nothing but her."

Despite the teacher's remarks, I exited the classroom at a brisk pace. I rammed into the door, pushing myself into the outdoors and leaning against the building. 

I wasn't breaking up with Jessica because of Andy..was I? No. I shook my head, not believing it. Ben was a dumbass. I don't know how long I stood there until I thought of something so brilliant, I was mad at myself for not thinking of the simplicity beforehand. 

I pulled out my phone, fingers trembling as I unlocked it and scrolled into my contacts. I paused on Andy's name, thinking why not? 

I pressed it, slowly putting the phone to my ear and waiting for it to pick up. Ring. Ring ring. Ring. My hope was starting to dial down as it reached nine rings. But suddenly, a click followed the countless rings and my heart jumped to my throat. 

"Hello?" It was her voice. Her beautiful, strong, achingly familiar voice. She didn't seem like she was in any trouble at all; in fact, she answered the phone like it was any normal day and like she wasn't receiving a call from me. I heard faint laughter in the background as if a group of people had passed by her, followed by sirens and more chattering.

I was too stunned to answer. Too perplexed she was on the line,  I finally realized I should speak  before she hung up. 

"Andy?" I asked, voice cracking. 

Her voice was nonexistent. All I heard were the same kinds of sounds: voices, sirens and honking. 

"Andy," I said, rushed, "Please come back. You're..you're my best friend. And I don't understand why you'd leave us..me..like this."

She didn't say anything. 

"I found your letter." I offered up, hoping she'd say something. "And it doesn't help me understand at all."

I blinked wildly, waiting and hoping for a response of any kind. 

"Was it something I did?" I wondered. "Because if it was, I could never forgive myself."

Still nothing. 

A group of kids entered through the doors, interrupting my concentration. I put a finger over my left ear as their laughter filled the air, but removing it once they passed. "Andy?"

Nothing. Some more honks.

"Why did you do this?" I whispered. 

There was a pause for a few moments, before she finally said something. "Goodbye." The way she said it sounded like her choice was confirmed, maybe even more confirmed than it had been before she answered the phone. 

And her line went dead.