-4-

Adoption Days sucked. Like, no one liked them. Andy and I usually found some way to cause trouble and mischief while they happened, but this time--it was a no goer. Miss insisted that if we were to cause any more problems with the Adoption Days, then she would personally find a new home for us both. Oh, come on! It was such a bluff. Finding a new home meant explanations, which meant problems involving Miss's reputation, which then meant unhappy foster kids (because Andy and I were all the fun). 

But Miss has strictly prohibited us to do anything remotely interesting or fun, except look lost in the sea of adults and hope one of them would adopt us. But to be honest, and I'm not even sure Andy knew this about me at the time, I didn't feel the need to stare at the possible parents because I was contempt with where I was. I had authority with all the kids, (because come on, they all looked up to me like some tribal leader), and I had Andy. What else would I need? 

"Caleb," Miss suddenly towered above me, her brown hair hanging over her shoulders, "I don't want you pulling any tricks today. We have guests and I need you on your best behavior."

I made a, who me? face. "I'll be on my best behavior."

She squinted doubtfully, spinning and disappearing into the lingering crowd of people. 

I huffed, leaning forward and blinking. I was telling the truth, I promise.

A familiar body suddenly flopped down next to me, looking at me with those beautiful eyes. A purple shirt hugged her body. "What's wrong with you?"

I made a face, and replied with something that sounded like a question. "Nothing?"

"Well good, because I have an idea."  

Quirking an eyebrow, she proceeded to jump up and pull me along. We ended up in the kitchen, but I kept peeking for Miss. I didn't want to get caught.  "So what exactly is the plan?" I asked tentatively, lowering my voice. 

Andy grinned. "The plan is to ruin Adoption Day."

~

"So you're going to take Josh's dogs, offer to give them a bath, and then set them loose in the living room?"

She nodded furiously.  I hesitated on my reply. I really couldn't afford getting caught by the tyrant in charge; Miss made it quite clear to not pull any pranks on Adoption Day. "Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"Miss." Was all I said. 

She shrugged it away. "If you're too much of a scaredy cat, then I'll just do it myself."

Now, this was the moment when the ten year old boy succumbs to peer pressure of  a girl. Here I was, my best friend standing in front of me, proposing a fun mission that would spike any young rebel's adrenaline. And I was the epitome of a rebel. Or an evolving one, at least. There was no way I would let Andy miss out on the fun without me. 

"Count me in." I rushed. She nodded, a look of victory in her eyes.  The next ten minutes seemed like it happened in seconds, but the result stretched into something that etched an eternity. We managed to get the four dogs, spray them with our hose in the backyard, and let them loose in the living room. Andy and I stood on the outskirts of the room, laughter aching in our throats as the dogs shook their water soaked fur. Adults scrambled, and biological children of the searching parents screamed. The scene was beyond anything we had ever accomplished, making it even more enjoyable to relish in it all. 

The only downside to our enjoyment was, unsurprisingly, Miss. Our scheme ruined the day of new adoptions (which made Andy happy),  but it also awarded us both yellow cards and something that really sparked the beginning of my maturity.