Chapter Two

The initial shock took a while to wear off. Flashbacks of my time at the auction kept replaying in my head, accompanied by the thought that those younger than myself would only find it harder to remain strong.

''You didn't know about this?'' Millie's obvious empathy for human-kind brought with it some kind of comfort. It seemed that despite being in a family that was pictured as evil, she managed to maintain some sympathy for humanity.

''If I'd know about this, then I would have tried to stop it!'' Aiden was practically yelling at this point, but I had no desire to jump into this argument. It was not my place to blame them for their mother's actions, as it hadn't been for me previously with my father.

''She's crazy. I can't believe that she would make this announcement.'' Millie paced the room, her golden hair whipping around her shoulders as she moved.

''Can't you stop this?'' I asked, a note of panic entering my voice as Millie's movements put me on edge. I had known everything would begin to fall apart again.

''She's told the entire vampire population, as well as humans, that it's happening and 'all will attend'. I don't think we can stop that.'' Millie ran her hands through her hair in frustration, her eyes narrowed.

''I've got to tell Rose.'' I started to head towards the door. Rose couldn't be left in the dark about this, we were in this together after all. For all I knew, she could have younger siblings who would be in the auction. After all, I'd never asked her about her family.

''Let me come with you. My mother will be back any minute and I don't want her catching you alone.'' Aiden grabbed my arm, stopping me. There was no use in me protesting, his mind was made up, and secretly I was extremely grateful for it.

''You do that. I'm going to see if father knew anything about this.'' Millie muttered, storming off shortly afterwards.

''She seems angrier than I would've thought, considering this should be a good thing for vampires.'' I mumbled as Aiden led us down the hallways. Millie had already disappeared, silent as smoke.

''We still have our morals, Violet. Even we can see that it's too young for them to be sent off alone.'' Aiden's eyes were averted, but I was glad that he was hopefully being honest. It was a strange thought to think that vampires actually cared. But, he cared for me on some level I supposed.

We reached the main foyer, rushing quickly further down the steps towards the slave quarters where Rose would be waiting. As far as I could tell, the Queen had not yet arrived back to the mansion. Probably revelling in the adoration of her followers.

Aiden pushed through the door at the bottom of the steps into the female section of the slave quarters, facing us with the empty living space just outside of the bedroom, ''Do you want me to come with you?'' He asked, letting go of my arm.

''No, you don't have to. It's fine either way.'' I answered truthfully, not waiting for him to make a decision as I pushed through into the dark bedroom.

It was obvious she had been asleep, but our commotion must have startled her awake. Rose's hair was tousled from being rested on her pillow, her previous attire of our slave dress replaced with some dull pyjamas, ''Is something wrong?'' She seemed immediately alert, yet her voice was still groggy.

''You could say that.'' I flicked on the light, causing Rose to squint and groan in protest as I went to stand at the foot of her bed, ''The Queen just made an announcement. She said that there is going to be another slave auction next week.'' I cut right to the chase, wanting Rose to know how serious this news was to not only us, but the entire human population.