Chapter 6

We made sure to be home, by three so we wouldn't get into any trouble. We walked in, and I went straight upstairs into my room,

and checked my phone. I had an unread text, from Jai.

-text conversationJai: Want to go out for dinner?

Andy : Sure, where?

Jai: Surprise. (: I'll pick you up soon.

Andy : Okay (:

---

I started getting ready , when someone knocked on my door. It was Eric.

"Hey , why 'd you change?"He asked looking at me.

"Going out to dinner with Jai." I said.

He clenched his fists.

"Why ?"

"Because he asked me."

"That doesn't mean you have to go!"He almost shouted.

"I don't see why you're being so possessive. Just y esterday , we hated each other!"

He ran his fingers through his hair.

"I've never hated you, Andy .." I laughed in response.

"Bull shit,"After that, there was a knock at the door. "Well, see you!" I said, grinning.

***

In the middle of our last game, because Jai was feeling good about this one, his bedroom door opened. His mom stood in the

door. "Andrea, hun, Angie wants you home."

"Alright," I said, pausing the game. Jai's mom left.

"Thanks for the great evening," I smiled. "I had lots of fun."

"Me too,"He said, smiling. "I'm glad I asked."

He started to lean in, and so did I. Did I really want to kiss him? I hardly knew the boy ! I stopped leaning in, and whispered,

"Sorry ," And stormed out. What was I supposed to do? He's going to think I'm a joke. I walked home, and it starting raining.

Perfect.

I got home, after running for a few minutes. I caught my breath at the door, before opening it. I walked in, slowly , shutting the

door behind me, then walked into the kitchen. I saw Angie cry ing, in the corner.

"Angie?" I asked.

She looked up, and pretended she wasn't cry ing.

"Y es, hun?"She asked.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing,"She said, sniffling.

"Y ou can tell me.." I said.

She rubbed her temples, try ing to make a headache go away .

"Kim went to the hospital a few weeks ago, her head hurt really badly , for weeks on end.."

"And?" I asked.

"The results of her cat scan came back today .. Astrocy toma.."She burst out cry ing.

"What's that?" I asked.

"It's.. it's a brain tumor, that specifically children get.."She said shaking.

"Oh my god, Angie.." I said, as she cried. I slowly walked towards her, with my arms open. She hugged my tightly .

"Uh, I need to get some sleep.."She said, pulling away .

I nodded understandingly .

"Goodnight," I said, headed towards her bedroom.

***

I walked upstairs, and opened Eric's bedroom door, expecting him to be cry ing. I crack it open, and look in. He's sitting in

the corner, Kim in his lap.

"Why was mwommy swad?"Kimmy asked, looking up, at Eric. He had her wrapped up tightly , and was looking out the window.

"I don't know, Kimmy ,"He kissed her forehead. "I don't know..."

A single tear rolled down my face.