003

About five minutes later, Jack walks back into the classroom with a pissed-off demeaner. He walks straight to where I am sitting. He seats himself in the chair next to me again. This time I am the one with the devilish smirk.

"What?" I whisper, sarcastic innocence clear in my voice. Jack rolls his eyes at me (I swear those things are going to fall out of his head). "Did I do something?" I ask in the same tone as my previous question.

"Cut the crap, babe," Jack says quietly. "You're such a bitch." The pissy teen lifts himself from the chair and storms out of the classroom.

"Where does he think he's going?!" the substitute shreaks after hearing the door slam. "I'm calling the office!"

Nobody pays attention to the frazzled fill-in teacher. None of us know Jack, so we don't care. The class keeps their focus on the movie being shown.

x

As I walk past the principal's office on my way to second period, I see Jack Gilinsky seated on a chair, probably waiting for Principal Williams. I chuckle to myself at the sight of the new "bad boy" sitting in the office. I continue to walk myself to my second class of the day: AP Mathematics.

Katy, a girl in my small group of friends, is waiting for me when I reach the classroom. She is a loud girl who never really knows when to keep her mouth shut.  She is good at math, although she doesn't seem like the type that would be. She's more the type to just have a good time, living by the saying: "you can always retake a class, but you can't relive a party." Katy isn't my best girl-friend, but she is definetly fun to hang out with.

"Hey, brotien shake," Katy greets me. I lightly laugh at the name she calls me. She smiles cheekily at me, then leads the way into the classroom. The teacher lets us sit wherever we like, so Katy and I sit next to each other.

The bell, signalling class is starting, rings throughout the school. After the ringing is finished, I open my book to the page number that is written on the board and take my notebook out of my binder.

"Get started with the problems on the board. If you finish, come see me for more practice," the teacher of AP Mathematics, Mrs. Fische, explains in her boring, monotone voice. "There will be a new student coming in shortly, his name is Jack Gilinsky." I roll my eyes
at the sound of his name.

How can that child be in an AP class?

Katy and I start on the problems, but I can't seem to focus on them. My mind is too frequently drifting to the subject of Mr. Gilinksy.

"Hello?" Katy snaps her fingers infront of my dazed face for the third time in the past 10 minutes. "What are you thinking about, love?"

"Nothing, sorry." I pick my pencil up and start trying to figure out the next problem. As I do this, I hear Katy sigh, then start solving the problem.

I am once again distracted when the classroom door opens. Jack walks into the math class, his eyes dancing across the room until they meet mine. He rolls his eyes, the looks away and starts talking to our teacher.

"Do you have a thing for him or something?" Katy asks, staring at me with her questioning eyes.

"Not in the least. He's been fucking bothering me ever since he met me and it's fucking annoying."

"Damn."

I breathe the hot air out of my mouth. All I feel right now is pure annoyance.