Chapter 4

After the Attack

It was already in the late afternoon when the small Jedi shuttle arrived on the Senate landing platform. A dozen senators awaited them. Obi-Wan told the others that he'd report to the Jedi Council about their mission while they would be interviewed by the press. Katooni accompanied her master.

'Petro, you don't have to get interviewed if you don't want to.'

But Anakin's padawan already answered questions to some reporters. He really seemed to enjoy all the attention and gave the cameras his most charming smile. Anakin could just shake his head in amusement about his padawan.

When the press had finally gotten all their information, the Chancellor talked to Petro. Anakin was nowhere to be seen.

'Petro, you did very well today. Honestly I think we wouldn't have made it without your bravery, my young friend. You saved us all.'

'Thank you, sir. But I guess master Skywalker won't see it the same way. Actually he forbade me to come on this mission.'

'Don't worry. I'm sure he'll be merciful.' He smiled encouragingly.

'Your abilities are remarkable. You'll become one of the greatest Jedi, like your master. You did a great service to the Republic today. Whenever you are in trouble, I will support you. Now go to your master. He'll be waiting for you.'

'Thank you, sir.' He bowed to him and left to search his master.

The Chancellor is a nice man. He's generous and kind.
Nevertheless Petro recallled the moment when Palpatine wanted Anakin to kill Count Dooku. As the Chancellor he should have known that the Jedi are not allowed to kill unarmed person. It does not matter that the Count is...no was a sith. On top of that Anakin really considered killing him. His master's voice interrupted his thoughts.

'Petro, I've been looking for you. We must attempt the briefing.'

Something about Anakin was odd. He seemed hiding emotions, strong ones. Petro could feel them clearly but decided against asking his master about them. It was not his place to do so.

Instead he sighed. 'Can't we do that tomorrow? I'm completely shattered.'

'Nope, sorry deserter. And don't tell me it was Katooni's idea. I don't buy that.'

'Okay, I confess. It was my idea. But you have to admit that we were quite helpful. On top of that you wouldn't have made it without us.'

'Na! Obi-Wan and I would have made it out of there some way or another. We always do. By the way, don't believe that I'll spare you your punishment.'

'I guess I can't prevent that.'

'Correct. You're a fast learner.'

'Petro, we heard you served well today. The Chancellor is impressed by your skills.'

'But you disregarded your masters' orders. Is that correct, Petro?'

Before Petro could say anything Anakin spoke up.

'Not quite. I've...contacted him while arriving in the hangar. I suspected that we'd need help sooner or later. And the padawans proved themselves capable.'

'Is that true?' Master Windu didn't seem to believe Anakin.

Petro hesitated only for a second before he answered 'Yes master.' He has always been a good liar.

'In this case...well done for your first day as a padawan.'

'Thank you, master.'

'We'll discuss our further steps in finding Grievous tomorrow. Hopefully this war is over soon.'

'Dismissed you are.' They bowed to the Council members and left the chamber.

'Master?'

'Hmm?'

'Did you just lie to the High Council?'

'Maybe.'

Obi-Wan appeared next to Anakin. He had this disapproving expression.

'Anakin, you lied to the Council. Again.'

'I know, master. Don't worry. Petro gets his punishment anyway.'

'May I ask about what you were thinking?'

'You'll see. Accompany me to the hangar.' He grinned his evil smile.

'Seriously? I'll get my punishment today?'

'Seriously. By the way, I think you're the only padawan who has ever managed to get a punishment on their first day.'

'Thanks, that's encouraging.'

Obi-Wan was amused by their conversations. He hasn't seen Anakin fooling around like this since Ahsoka had left the Order.
In the hangar four starfighter stood next to one another. These were their fighters and they were all in miserable condition from the battle taking place earlier.

'Petro, you are going to repair our starfighters and clean them up afterwards.'

The young padawan growned in annoyance.
'Seriously?!'

'Seriously. But you don't have to do all the work by yourself. Fives will help you.'

He pointed at the clone who was sitting on a supply box.

'Oh and Captain Rex over there will oversee your work. Enjoy yourselves!' he squeezed his padawan's shoulder encouragingly.

Petro sighed and walked over to Fives.

'Anakin, I must admit you chose a good punishment. I feared I had to repair my fighter by myself. Well done.'
Obi-Wan looked truly released.

'You're welcome. But what about Katooni? Are you going to punish her?'

'No, she'd never have left the temple if it wasn't for you padawan's boisterousness.'

'Probably.'

'You seem very happy today.'

'I am. Today's a good day.' Anakin smiled wildly and Obi-Wan knew that there was more to his former padawan's happiness.

'Shall we eat something?'

'Sure. I'm nearly starving.'

Petro went over to Fives.
'Fives, right?'

'Right.' The ARC soldat was not really in a good mood right now.

'I'm sorry for getting you into trouble. I just knew it was the right thing to do. I'm not someone who follows orders when I know they're wrong.'

'It's all right, kiddo. I understand you. I was in a similar situation on Umbara.' Fives smiled encouragingly at the young padawan.

'You were part of the battle on Umbara?' Petro asked in amazement.

Fives told him the story of the famous battle of Umbara and all the other adventures he went on with the 501st. Petro listened to every single word of the experienced ARC soldier in pure excitement, eager to go on his first missions.

Palpatine just finished the transmission with Grievous. He gave the cyborg full control over the separatist army. But this won't be a solution in the long run. Fortunately he already had one in mind.
Today he learned a lot about Anakin's new padawan and he was forming a new plan, a plan which would need more time but the result would be even better. The sith went to his secret prisoner cells in the basement of the senate building. He opened a certain cell and stepped inside.

'Your captivity has come to an end, my apprentice.'