chapter seven: long lost friend?

The night generally went fast. But the only thing I could think about was Carlisle. Shaquan woke up several times to check on Carlisle and at this time, the only thing Carlisle had on was his underwear.

"Hey , you alright?"

Shaquan asked.

"Yh."  I answered back trying to hold in my tears.

"Hey, don't cry , I'm here for you."
Shaquan said as he placed his hand on my shoulder.

I looked up to see shaquan' s big green eyes, and for a moment I thought we were the only one in the world. The space between our two faces gradually decreased as our lips got closer.

My mind thought nothing about my friendship with carlisle or Tanya. The only thing I could think about was filling the gap that Carlisle once filled .

Our lips met in sweet harmony and I could feel him asking for an entrance. Although it was the zombie apocalypse his breath still managed to smell like pepper mint and his lips tasted like strawberry.

Sparkes flew , it, the feeling , it was larger than life,something I never felt with carlisle.

But  was it wrong?
Was it bad that as soon as one was gone I moved on to the other? 
Was it even more wrong that the other was my best friend from seventh grade up, boyfriend?

The thoughts fluttered my mind and I couldn't think straight. On instinct, I pulled away, still thinking ,is the grass greener on the other side?

But why am I watching someone else's grass?

We looked up at each other, was this really happening ?, was I becoming the girl that nobody wanted to be, that two timing bitch.

I opened my mouth but nothing seemed to come out.

" I'm sorry ,I,I, I thought that's what you wanted?" Shaquan said.

I walked away as fast as my legs could carry me.

I did not know what to say or how to say it. I always had a crush on shaquan but so did Tanya. She has done a lot for me and this is how I repay her, kissing her boyfriend!!

I wondered out of the class room into the cafeteria to get something to eat. When I heard this panting.

It sounded like someone gasping for breath, then it hit me , this horrific smell. The same smell that hit me and Carlisle when we walked into the pharmacy.

That smell, the smell of rotten meat. I was naïve , for a while it crossed my mind that it could be a zombie, but shaquans word , reassured me that it was probably just some rotten food.

I walked into the cafeteria , towards the space where the lunch ladies served. Indeed it was rottening food. Some mouldy mash potatoes and cauliflower that looked like it was turning into  broccoli.

But that was not the smell, it was a smell a terrible smell indeed, but not the smell.

There it was again. It's the scent of something rottening indeed, but in came in flashes, like when the wind blew.

I grabbed a fork from the mouldy tray and went exploring.

I checked by the new brand refrigerator that the school just purchased, nothing.
I explored the cafeteria, fork in hand , checking under the tables, still nothing.

Then it hit me , a growl, a pain driven, soulless , world ending growl. The same one me and Carlisle heard when we entered the pharmacy.

On instinct , I wanted to run back to the group and hide but curiosity killed the cat. I continued walking slowly trying to keep my breathing under control.