Chapter 1: Encounter

**Alec to the right** ----->

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you're human, life is boring. 

You go to school, graduate, go about your life in some meaningless task just to pay your next bill. 

For example, take me. 

I spent 6 years of my life working register at some bottom-dollar chain store, never bothering anyone if I could help it. 

My boss was the pervert you avoided, yet had to listen to all the same, despite the fact she [yes, I said SHE] would sit there and eye you up like you were on the lunch menu.

Right.. my name.  

You can call me Lena. 

I know, technically my full name is Helena, but no one has called me that since my mother... and she's going to be the only one that ever gets away with it.

Where was I again? Meaningless existence? 

Right, gotcha. 

Lesbian perv of a boss, went home tired every night and tired every morning. That kind of average existence.

Until Alec.

I had to give the guy his props. For being older my time, he was pretty damn gorgeous.  

You ever see Dante from Devil May Cry? 

Take that build and hair color, and you're halfway there. 

What made Alec different was his eyes. Talk about being as cold as ice, this guy had eyes that could pass as glaciers. I would know, I got to see them up close and personal right before he took his teeth to my neck. 

I know what you're thinking, "Oh my god, he's a vampire!" 

Well.... yes and no. 

Yeah he bites to get something from you, but it doesn't get any more vampiric than biting your neck. Also, he gives something back.

I was working the register as per usual, rolling my eyes as the customer I was ringing up chatted lively to her friend about how she convinced her 'boo' that she wasn't cheating on him for the 3rd time and still had him wrapped around her finger. 

I wanted to scowl, but I wouldn't. I had a job to keep and a boss to avoid, after all. 

I had just given the woman her change when I noticed the bulk that had just taken up space in my line. Beyond frazzled, I attempted to wave him off, "Sorry, lane's closed." 

"Looking forward to that break?" 

I stopped in my tracks and risked a second glance, after all that voice was delicious. 

He was smiling, leaning against the hard metal rail where the shopping carts were stored. Normally, you would think twice about talking to a guy who went from one place to the next in a blink of an eye, but I had been so exhausted I didn't pick up on it. 

"A little bit, yeah." I admitted, ready to pass him by with no more than that for conversation. But, as he grabbed me lightly by the arm, I knew not to be the case. 

"I don't suppose you'd take me up on my offer for dinner? My treat." His voice was a purr, sending shivers down my spine with temptation, but I wasn't having it today. 

"Maybe some other time. I only have a few minutes to myself, and I'd rather like to have them to myself." I didn't jerk away from his grip; more like he easily released me as I pulled away, holding up his hands in defeat.