Chapter Two

Zane-

"Sorry bro, I must have misheard you. See, I thought you just said the new guy is from Arbor Hills," Carson said.

"Yeah, and you can't have just said that, because there's no way an Arbor Hills football player would join our team. And Coach sure as hell wouldn't let him anyway," Joey said.

They both looked at me. Hard.

"Sorry, guys," I said.

They continued to look at me like that.

"Well, what do you want me to say?" I asked.

There really wasn't much I could.

"Say it ain't so!" Carson said, falling out of his bunk and rolling on the floor over-dramatically.

"And he's rooming with us? Sick, we'll catch his fungal diseases or something," Joey complained.

"Yeah, didn't the whole team have like major athletes foot last season?" Carson grumbled from the floor.

I stepped on Carson's back to reach the door of the cabin. He grunted and groaned.

"Fat ass," He moaned.

I backed up and stepped on him again.

"Get over it, guys." I said.

But really, I felt the same way.

An Arbor Hills kid? Someone I've probably gotten into a fight with on the football field before? The thought of being his teammate made me want to upchuck a litte; the rivalry blood ran that deep.

But I had to keep it hidden, for Coach's sake.

I headed out the cabin and stood on the porch part of it, taking in the beauty of the surrounding area of Lake Corbier. It was quite the place. I always love coming here every year for camp. It's secluded too, so you feel safe when you're running your top secret plays for the season.

It's great.

The team has been strong for the past few decades and especially the past few years. But so had the Arbor Hills Dragons. And at the end of every football season it was always the top two teams in the championship game: the Knights and the Dragons. The winning went back and forth. Sometimes we win, sometimes they win. But this year, we had to win. It's my senior year. Being a starting player on the winning team in the championship game guaranteed scholarships. 

I had to win.

No distractions. 

That's why I had broken up with Emily the day before yesterday. Emily and I had dated for a few months. She was fine, don't get me wrong. Good looking, and a cheerleader. Sweet and funny and smart. She wasn't a snob or too clingy, but I couldn't afford to be with her during football season. I had to be focused. 

She asked me if it was because I just wasn't attracted to her. But I said no way. She's cute, blue-eyed and blonde. Every guy is attracted to her, so of course I am too.

Aren't I?

Stupid question.

I shook it off as the dinner bell rang across the grounds. Then I headed to the mess hall.

I sat between Carson and Trey. They were already shoving corn bread down their throats greedily, as if they hadn't eaten in days, when in fact they had pigged out at Denny's this morning at the bus stop. I started away at my pork chop and Coach Larson stood up at one end of the mess hall.

"Attention everyone, I have an announcement."

The whole hall fell silent at Coach's commanding voice. 

"What's up, Coach?" Trey asked, filling the silence.

Just then a person entered the mess hall. He wore a smirk and a green and yellow sweatshirt with a dragon on the chest.

"This is our newest player, Jamie Burke. Welcome him to the team." Coach said.

That's what's up.