Chapter 2- The unexpected

Puzzled, we all exchange glances with each other. It seems strange to even think that it came from beyond the gates, where there is the nothingness that is the woods and a small forest. But we all know it came from there, there is no mistaking it. Just to confirm what we are all thinking, Wren pipes up. ''Everyone else heard the scream, right?''

''It sounded like it came from outside the fence,'' Stefan says, as if he can read my mind. No, that's my ability.

I catch Barron in the corner of my eye and see that there is a rather large crease above his eyebrows. He seems bewildered, more than the rest of us, as to where it had come from.

Suddenly, he jumps up and starts to walk over towards the fence. At first, I think he is just getting a closer look and listen. Then, to my amazement, he slides his foot up the fence and grabs on to the top of it. He climbs over, slipping at times but hoisting himself back up with his strong arms and then jumps over, with an effortless jump that looks so easy and with barely a fall. Our group exchanges looks, shocked and terrified ones. Barron could get into deep trouble just for even attempting to climb the fence. It is very high and not many of us would actually be able to climb it, but apart from that, it is very easy to escape the school (if we ever needed too, that is). For Barron, it looked a piece of cake to climb the gate.

''I'm going to check it out. Wish me luck,'' And without even seeing if we approved of what he was about to do, he darts off into the distance and behind the mass of trees.

''We can't let him go alone! We need to go over!'' Sophia-Marie gasps and runs around in circles frantically. Despite the situation, it is actually pretty comical and I can't help but let out a small giggle.

''I'll go,'' I say, without thinking. I am probably there best bet of going, as I am the tallest and I am the most likely to get over. Also, when I want to, I can run quite fast. Sometimes.

''Me too. You're not going alone,'' Wren mutters as she makes her way to the fence. I am grateful for her help, but it's just an extra person who will get in trouble if we're caught. For once, I am glad the grounds are so big because no-one will notice or see us.

''I will as well,'' Josh says and directs a smile torwards me and I return it, grateful once again.

''Oh, fine! But be careful! We'll help you over.'' Sophia-Marie squeaks and motions for me to get on her back for a piggy-back, which she will then use to help me get over. I hop onto her back and she straightens hers out so I am higher. I can just reach the top of the fence and I grab it with two hands and then hang myself off it. Sophia-Marie steadies my feet and I hoist myself up so I can sit on the top of it. Then, I take the leap of death and jump onto the hard ground below me.

Fortunately, I do it without too much impact and only a small vibration goes through me instead of a lump of pain. Quickly, I hide myself behind a nearby tree although it's not that hard because there are so many to choose from. The rest of the gang behind the fence look casual for a minute or so but then hurry back to work. Barron is probably far away by now or starting to return, so this is probably pointless.

''We have no time, only for one more person!'' I suggest and since Wren is already on her way over, with the help of Sophia-Marie again, I guess it will have to be her.

When she is over, we both start running off into the distance, along the jagged, un-even floor.

''Barron!'' Wren shouts at the top of her voice. ''Stop being stupid and just come back already!''

Already, I start to get tired and long, exasperated breaths let free from my mouth. Wren grabs my arm and pulls me along with her, which is not really much help. Finally, we stop because we have travelled far already and if we are caught, we will be in big trouble. We both take in our surroundings. It's just the woods, nothing special about it. There is an ominous feel about it yet there is nobody in sight and the whole place seems empty. In the distance, we see a figure emerge from the foggy air. We don't get scared at all because we recognise it as Barron almost instantly. He is running and doesn't look tired at all, which is understandable because he is such an athlete.