The One She Couldn't Have

It was a normal day. Boys fawning over her, kissing her feet. She was independent, flawless, and intelligent, everything a guy would want. Girls glared at her with jealousy as she walked through the halls.

On the other hand, Shawn was a nerdy and shy boy who hid in the corners. He always knew Camila would be on his side.

"Hey Shawny. Aren't you looking hot in that shirt," Camila says, eyeing him up and down.

Shawn blushes and scratches his neck, "Thanks, Camz."

"Damn have you been working out?" Camila puts a hand on his bicep.

"Um... I've been going for awhile."

"You look good. Come on. Let's go to class," she grabs his hand and leads him to their first class.

She was fully aware of the fact that the girls around them were checking him out. Her jealousy mode turned on and she growled at them. Shawn was totally oblivious.

-

She watched him from afar as he sat underneath the large oak tree with his book. The slight breeze ruffled his brown hair as a slight smile graces his lips. His plaid shirt is slightly unbuttoned at the top where a pendant necklace he got from her sits. Wonder what could be down that shirt...

"Camila! Stop staring!" Lauren punches her arm.

Camila scowls at her, "I'm not in just..."

"You're just what?" She raises an eyebrow.

"Observing," she purses her lips.

Lauren rolls her eyes, "One day he'll catch you and then what?"

"Maybe then he'll finally realize I've been in love with him for three years!"

"Camila, there are so many fish in the sea. Why Shawn? Move on it's been three years!"

"I can't ever forget about him! He's always near me. We're seniors. I don't have much time left with him. Plus, he isn't like the other boys who drool over me. He actually appreciates me for my brains, not just my looks. He always watches over me. He's my best friend."

Lauren rubs her arm, "I'm sorry, Mila, but he's going to be gone soon."

"I just want to go to prom with him, but he's never going to ask me," Camila sighs.

"It's time for you to make a move, Mila. Show him that you like him."

"I have been making moves on him! He's just doesn't get it!"

"Maybe it's time to take it to the next level."

-

Camila lies on Shawn's bed with her textbook next to her.

"Do you understand question 40?" Shawn asks from across the bed.

"Yeah, all you have to find is the asymptote of the equation," she replies.

"Oh I see," he puts the pencil between his lips.

Camila stares at him with lust. He looks especially handsome today, with his button down shirt and skinny jeans.

She licks her lips, "Shawn, who are you going to prom with?"

"I don't know yet. I was thinking of Marisa though," he says absentmindedly.

Jealousy courses through her veins. Marisa wasn't even that pretty with her curly red hair and slim figure, and she totally wasn't smart at all with her straight a's. Who was she kidding? Marisa was perfect. But then again, Camila had the skills to tantalize any boy into her arms. She lifts herself off the bed and makes her way over to Shawn. He looks at her nervously as she pulls him up by his shirt.