Chapter 5- Othello

A Lesson in Literature.

     I made it to school a few minutes late.
I ran up the steps to see that the hallways were empty, I casually strutted to my locker, I was really loving being free and I was really getting used to staying in Liberty Valley.

Back when we were living in New York it was really hectic. I had clients up to my neck- but those guys knew how to spend money and us girls wasn't short on anything; the apartment was crappy though ya think John would have spruced it up seeing how much money he made of us. But no, he had 12 girls living in a 2 bedroom apartment, one bath and a small ass kitchen, an even smaller living room and the only view we had was that of a brick wall at the end of a back alley. Sigh. But New York was wonderful, I only saw it cause a client spent a hefty sum of money to have me be his escort or 'pretend girlfriend' to this high society ball. You would think a big shot wouldn't have a problem finding a date, but the poor guy did and on top of that he didn't even want any sex, he just stared at me and kissed me occasionally, I didn't mind though because in that one night I got to see New York.

John was so strict on us, once Ashley tried escaping- she woke up one day and decided she didn't want to be a sex slave, she was more than a mere prostitute. But Ashley was pregnant I saw her sobbing over that damn pregnancy stick, she was just terrified of what John would do to her. He made us all get patches and IUDs I don't know how she got pregnant but I figured she didn't want this life for her baby. I watched her with the other girls making a spring for the door but John had her brains splattered on the wall before she even touched the door knob. We all flinched and went into our rooms. That was a lesson learnt. We had to move because hiding a body in the city posed a challenge to John. He packed us up in the dead of night in a U-Haul van and pressed gas. Leaving Ashley, he had taken her teeth out and charred her fingertips before leaving so they'd have a hard time knowing who she was.
Since Ashley died, I had to be head girl. That was why John trusted me to go to school when we settled in the valley.

I was brought out of my memory when. I saw someone propped up beside my locker.
"Boy, you sure were zoned out. But damn girl, what's your name? You look---" his voiced trailed off as he ran his fingers in his dirty blonde hair. I kept staring at him, he wasn't like the other guys I've seen. He was young, he was a boy. Well no shit Sherlock. A regular mundane average Joe with a nice smile and welcoming eyes..
" Beautiful. Ms. Rose." He finally said breaking the silence.
He must have been in French class.
"Ugh, my name's Scarlett, Scarlett Rose." I opened my locker and saw that I had Literatures in English class right now.
I grabbed my binder and walked away.
I heard  his light foot steps come up behind me and I slowed my pace.
" Where you off to ?"
He had his hands in the pockets of his True Religion jeans as he rocked a stripped grey and pink sweater.
"I have Literature." I said slowly. I don't know why I felt nervous around him all of a second.
"Me too."
We walked to class in silence.

When we got there I saw that it was a small class of only ten students inclusive of mystery guy and me. I made my way to the window seat that was right behind him and beside Alice, my overly preppy lunch buddy.
The fuck I just thought to myself?
I giggled inwardly and shook the feelings off.

Our teacher came in late, and the class' eyes were wide open. I suspected that she was new.

"Where's Mrs. King-shire?" Alice said breaking the awkward silence.
The new woman had curly blonde hair, a beautiful face and a nice slender body, she had on peep toe nude heels, and a lace top lavender dress that flared off the bottom. She was gorgeous.
"Good morning class, my name is Ms. Amber Landcaster."

She scribbled her name on the board in almost perfect handwriting.
She seemed nervous, her curly hair bounced as she made her way in front of the room. Young eyes watched her keenly.

" To answer your question, Mrs. King-shire has been transferred to my school, it's like a teacher exchange programme. But dont worry, you're all in good hands."

Yeah she was nervous.

She rambled on for a few more minutes running through what our class schedule would be like and all and then she gave us our first assignment, "Shakespeare's Othello."

"No introductions?" It came from the stranger behind me.
Ms. Landcaster smiled before face palming herself to which the whole class bust a fit laughing at.

"Silly me, that's new teacher 101!"

An uproar of laughter ensued.

The class introduced ourselves and I came to learn that the stranger behind me was Matt.

He pat my shoulder just as the bell went off.
"Lunch?"
I saw Alice's face thwart and it was clear that she felt I was exclusively hers at lunch time.
"If Alice doesn't mind."

He smiled, that smile as if he couldnt believe his luck, as if he thought it was an offering for a mon aje trois.

I was looking at her now, she bobbed.
"My very own clique!"

What have I done?