Chapter 5

Lucas on the side ---->

After 15 minutes of waiting in line we finally got inside. The music was sensual and the bass was thumping hard against my chest. I was suddenly ecstatic as I grabbed Megan’s hand and dragged her towards the dance floor with me.

“I’m going to get a drink!” I heard Jamie yell over the music before disappearing into the crowds of people and towards the bar.  Jamie wasn’t one for dancing really. In fact the only time I ever saw him on the dance floor was when a girl was grinding with him, which didn’t really require a lot of work on his part.

Megan and I were completely lost in the music and I couldn’t say how much time had passed when Jamie returned with a tray of shots and placed them on the nearest table. I looked at him with one eyebrow raised to which he responded, “Oh come on! Do you want to have a good night or not?!” I laughed at this and grabbed a shot before throwing it back, scrunching my face up at the taste. Urgh I hate Sambuca, I would much rather drink petrol!

I looked up when I heard Jamie’s loud laughter, “That was Meg’s, here’s your tequila” He thrust the tequila at me and proceeded to hand me a lemon wedge, I didn’t think twice as I downed this next shot, the alcohol still left me wincing and I frantically shoved the lemon in my mouth.

Jamie had bought us two shots and a drink each, a beer for him, a Sex on the beach for Meg and a Jack Daniels and coke for me. I grabbed mine and downed half of it in one. Looking up I could see Jamie’s astonished face, “I can never get over how much you drink” I snorted and rolled my eyes, “England isn’t known for binge drinking for nothing you know! It’s what Uni was all about!” He laughed, grabbed my waist, turned me around and danced with me against him. It was nothing sexual but like I said he can’t dance alone.

I glanced over at Megan who had already downed both her shots and was eye-flirting with a tall blonde guy nearby. He was exactly Megan’s type so I wasn’t surprised when she turned, winked at me then walked off in his direction.

“She works fast” Jamie commented in my ear, I smiled and moved out of his hold as I turned around to dance freely. I was the opposite of Jamie; I needed my space when dancing. He frowned at me but then glanced over my shoulder obviously catching sight of something.

“Hottie?” I questioned with a knowing smile. He smirked back at me, “Hot red head” he corrected and proceeded to tug at my elbow so that I moved backwards and closer to her. I looked back and noticed she was eyeing his hand on my elbow so I quickly yanked myself free and gave him a pointed look, he just grinned “It’s all part of my plan, girls dig guys that they think are taken.” He explained close to my ear.

After another couple of minutes of dancing and ‘making her jealous’ he made his way over to her. I watched curiously expecting her to slap him senseless but when, after a few words back and forth, she wrapped her arms around his neck my eyes widened in astonishment. “Well played mate” I mused out loud.

Looking down at the now empty glass in my hands I decided I needed another drink and shimmied through the crowds towards the bar.

Once I’d finally gotten the barman’s attention I ordered myself another shot of tequila and a JD and coke.

“Are you sure you should be drinking that much?” A familiar husky voice queried from next to me, causing me to jump in surprise. I turned and looked into the soulful blue-grey eyes of my addresser. At this close range I could see that his eyes were more grey than blue, the colours swirling together.

“Professor Bailey! What are you doing here?!” I exclaimed surprised to see my lecturer had a night life. As if reading my mind he smirked, “Teachers have lives too you know. And call me Lucas, Professor Bailey makes me feel old” I smiled sheepishly and turned to the bartender who had returned with my drinks. Before I could reach into my bag a bunch of notes were being shoved into the bartender’s hands. I looked at Lucas in surprise, “I could have paid for them you know. I came with enough money to buy my own drinks…” I was never very comfortable with people buying me drinks; my mother had raised me independent and wary of men. I didn’t want to be owing any man anything.