Chapter XI

*Bella's POV*
"What did Will say?" Rikki shouts.
"He can hear giggles which means Sophie and Denman can too. The clouds might be covering the full moon but there's only one mermaid in there," I pointed towards the party in the café.
"So you think Tammy is moonstruck at Denman's boat."
"Rikki! Will saw a tail, we've got to go."

I had a plan and I explained how I couldn't do this on my own and how Emma wasn't a good idea considering the amount of drinks she'd had and Cleo would be too scared to go anywhere near her big, creepy boat. Tammy won't remember anything from tonight anyway.

I eventually got Rikki's agreement and we dove straight into the water, heading for Denman's boat.

*Nala's POV*
Why would they just dive into the water like that? It's pretty dark out here and there's a really cool party going on inside. Confusion had struck me, something wasn't right about this whole situation.

I'd come outside for a bit of fresh air. I'd called Tammy because parties aren't really my thing and everything was getting a little too much. Somewhere along the lines, she got mad at me because I invited Ezra instead of her, she said she was going for a swim and wanted to be alone and hung up. Just what I need, another person mad at me.

Id come out and spotted two girls arguing on the pier so I watched from the shadows, I love a bit of drama, as long as I'm not involved. I knew one of the girls was Rikki, my new friend, and I think the other girl was the café's singer but I wasn't entirely sure.

It didn't take long for my little brain to start thinking of possibilities, alcohol was my first theory. But then I remembered how Rikki had kept my secret, despite not knowing me at all and what Zane had said when he saw me in his office.

"I might know a few other mermaids."

A few other mermaids? Zane had told his girlfriend about me and that was all, as far as I knew. Neither of them ever really stopped to question anything, anyone who'd just discovered a supernatural creature in their office would be off their head with questions, but they weren't.

Rikki's friend, Cleo, she was going to tell Rikki something about me before she saw I was in front of her, Rikki did a pretty bad job of covering it up. I'd never even met Cleo, how did she know my name. All the extra "unknown" views to my FaceBook profile, Rikki asking if I'd told anyone else about my mermaid secret, things were adding up. Perhaps I was just paranoid though, perhaps it was all in my head.

They both dove into the water and weren't coming back up for air, I couldn't see anything in the water because of all the clouds. Besides, Rikki already knew I was different and it wouldn't be long until the other girl got it out of her.

Would I risk having another person know my fishy secret to find out whether Tammy and I were the only mermaids in the sea? Are Rikki and her friend alike me, a mermaid? Why would she keep something like that from me though?

One way to find out.

I hit the water, bubbles rise all around me. I was starting to have second thoughts, they could just be going for a swim after all. The pressure started to make me feel sick in the stomach but as the bubbles cleared I realized I was alone in the water.

I search for Rikki and the other girl, were they lost or were they mermaids? My brain kept ticking, everything was so confusing. Hundreds of questions flew through my head but I didn't understand what a single one of them was asking.

A trail of bubbles was visible in the distance. I knew Tammy could form a trail of bubbles and foam with her tail, when she swam at full speed. I followed the trail, quickly but not so fast as to catch up to Rikki.