A little bit sweeter

"ASHLYN COME HERE"
I heard a call from down stairs and quickly looked up.
"OKAY BE THERE IN A MINUTE" I yelled back.
"Okay this is it. This is when you do it. You got this." I finished whispering my little pep talk and quickly threw on a loose shirt, and started down the stairs. My husband Cameron(as of almost a year), was draped across the couch with the tv on. I walked in and he looked at me and grinned.
"Come sit, the game's on" he pleaded.
"Baby we have to talk." I approached the subject carefully, worried about the reaction to come.
"Are you okay?" Cameron asked, dividing his attention between me and then game.
"Well..." I started, but quickly I was interrupted for a scream at the tv.
"Omg babe Liz is throwing a New Years party on Friday and I was thinking when I get off work we could go." Cameron offered the idea, changing the subject.
"Well idk if we can." I continued trying to bring the subject back to the situation at hand.
"Why? Liz is our best friend she has been since high school." Now Cameron was turned towards me worried.
"Well I have a doctors appointment on Friday."
"Come on baby can't we just skip it? Everyone going and its just a stupid appointment and..."
I quickly interrupted him. "No we can't skip it baby I'm pregnant."
Cameron completely lost interest in the game. There was an excruciating moment of silence.
"Are...are you serious?" He stuttered.
"Yep. 3 months in. I've been trying to find a way to tell you it's just.." This time I was interrupted.
He jumped and lifted me in the air and held me in his arms and spun me around.
"Oh My God I'm gunna be a dad oh my god!" He grinned and spun me around before I pleaded for him to put me down. The next 10 minutes came a wave of questions.
When's the appointment?
When will we know gender?
Names?
Who do we tell?
When do we tell?
I giggled to myself. "Baby, baby, baby, calm down we will figure this out in time."
He suddenly stopped. "...does Liz know?"
"Nope but we're gunna tell her on Friday."
"Okay. God I love you."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friday came all too slowly. It dragged on until finally the time came. The story we told Liz was to post pone her party till 7 and come with us somewhere. We didn't tell her where though. Cameron, Elizabeth (she's gone by Liz since sophomore year thanks to Cameron), and I have been best friends since 6th grade. During college, Cameron and I started dating, we got married after college, and then this new adventure was discovered a couple months ago.
My internal monologue was disrupted by the bump of liz's drive way. It was 1:00 and we told her we were gunna take her to the mall for a surprise.
Liz jumped in the back and immediately started asking questions. "Where are we going? What's the surprise? Are you coming to my party? What's going on?"
I giggled to myself. I swear Liz was the most energetic 25 year old I had ever met. "Why hello to you too Liz" I chuckled. I was sitting shot Gun, with Cameron driving and Liz bouncing in the back the entire drive.
As soon as we pulled into the hospital parking lot, a tsunami of questions flooded the car. It took everything we had not to duck tape her mouth closed.
Cameron laughed. "Liz just go with it."
We walked in, I checked in, and then we rode up to the pregnancy floor.
"Oh.my. God." Liz stuttered.
I turned to look at her and grinned.
"Oh my god. Are you? Holy shit."
Cameron at that point, lost it. He bursts out laughing and it took everything for me not to loose it as well. After an hour of explaining and waiting, we were led back into a room. A sonogram was done and Cameron was in awe.
"We can tell you the gender if you'd like?" Asked the doctor.
Cameron went white and Liz screamed.
"I think I speak for the three of us when I say yes please." I chuckled to myself as the doctor walked away. When she came back she paused before announcing that I'm having a girl. It took everything for me not to cry. Liz screamed again and hugged me but Cameron just sat there like a ghost.
"Are you okay my love?" I asked softly.
"What if I'm not good enough?" His eyes turned soft and warm but also cold and sad.
"Get your ass over here now," I demanded. "Cameron you're going to be an amazing father and we're going to raise a beautiful baby girl, don't you worry." I kissed his forehead and he held my hand and the day ended with telling Liz to come up with baby names for her god daughter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The 9 months that followed were long and eventful. A nursery was made, parties were thrown, and family was visited. I got Huge to say the least. I had to take off work a lot because of contractions but the overall 9 months was pretty amazing. Liz didn't leave my side and when she wasn't there, Cameron was. I was never alone and I was so greatful.

"Mrs Smith would you like to hold your baby girl?" The doctor asked interrupting my thoughts.
"Yes. Yes please." The next few moments were indescribable. What I was brought was far from a baby, but an angle instead. Wrapped in a little purple blanket was a baby so small and soft and delicate and tears were shed.
"Hello my love" I cooed as her arm waved around. My heart was souring and tears were falling and feelings were all over the place. Cameron walked over cautiously. He was very shaky as he asked for his daughter. "May I hold her?"
"Of course baby." I gently passed my daughter to her father and I watched a tear fall from his cheek as he buried her into his chest.
"Don't worry no one will harm you while I'm around."
Liz peaked her head in the door.
"Where's my beautiful baby girl?" She asked.
"She's right there" I replied.
"I was talking about you Ash. How you feelin?"
"Everything hurts." I chuckled.
"Well I'm sure with as fat as you were." She giggled as well.
" oh thanks." I slapped her shoulder and she laughed. Cameron handed my daughter back.
"Hey Liz, wanna hold your god daughter?" I asked.
"Can I?"
"of course. Here Lizzette, meet your God mother and Aunty Liz." I said softly. I handed her over and Liz laughed through glossy eyes, pulling back from crying.
"I've never seen something so precious."
"God I love you guys" I chuckled. The rest of the day was passing around my little angle and tears and emotions flying. I had never seen a more picture perfect moment then my only family getting a little bit bigger and a little bit sweeter.