Labels

I hate stereotypes. It's just society's way of categorizing you into something you're not, based on what you listen to or like doing. Just labels that have been self created to fit into today's community. That doesn't make you who you are though. Just cause you talk fast doesn't make you Hispanic. You can listen to country music without being stupid or southern. You can listen to Spanish music and not be Spanish. You can get good grades and not be a nerd. You can listen to loud music and not be emo. It doesn't define you. I like wearing black. It matches my frequently dyed hair. I like listening to 80s rock or music with loud drums but none of that makes me emo. Because there are multiple sides to my complex personality just like everyone else. I also like wearing pink dresses and taking pictures of flowers and swinging on swings high enough that I feel like I'm flying. I'm not racist because I'm white. I'm not a hillbilly because my grandmothers from Georgia and I like country concerts. I can be multiple things. I don't have to fit into pre based labels created by my generation. Society doesn't define me. You don't define me. No one does. I am my own person.  I can be anything and everything I want to be. I should be able to listen to Van Halen and white snake without being considered old and out of date. I should be able to listen to music so loud it screams through my headphones without being looked at as emo. I can be childish and ditsy without being a dumb blonde. No one defines me. I am every label at once because labels aren't real. Are they used excessively? Yes. Do they matter? No. Don't let society and your generation define you.