Opening Act

Abby and Nick had become friends over Instagram. They co-owned an account together, fangirling over One Direction everyday. When they tried out for the X Factor, their hopes were high, but they never expected to be in the final three. They stood on stage with a group called "Rhythm Masters" awaiting results from Mario Lopez.

"Okay everyone. It is time to announce the winner of The X Factor. On Simon's team, we have Abby Torres and Nick Johnson. On Demi's team, we have Rhythm Masters. In third place." The lights dimmed and the audience started chanting names. "Nick Johnson." Nick looked at Abby and they hugged. They were inseparable best friends. They even made a promise that if one of them won, that they would duet with the other. Simon whispered into Nick's ear and Nick walked backstage.

"And the winner of The X Factor season 3 is." Everyone yelled Abby's name. She was the favorite week after week. "Going to be announced after the break." Abby let out a sigh and went back stage to comfort Nick. She found him crying in his dressing room.

"Nick, it'll be fine. I promise. I know you'll be famous."

"That isn't why I'm crying, Abby. Simon told me that he was going to set up a meeting for me at his record company. He wants to sign me, Abbs."

"Oh my God, Nick! That's fantastic!" Abby and Nick went to hug each other when the door opened behind them.

"Abby, two minutes until stage." They closed the door and Abby looked at Nick.

"Good luck Abbs."

"Thank you." She went back to the stage and stood next to Simon. A few fans screamed her name and some yelled "I love you Abby!" She smiled and waved, blushing at the support. The familiar cue music played and they were live again.

"Alright ladies and gentlemen." Mario said. "It comes down to this. Who will win? Will it be Rhythm Masters?" Cheers roared from the crowd. "Or will it be Abby Torres?" The cheers were even louder for her. "The winner of The X Factor is." The camera man zoomed in on Abby and then the members of Rhythm Masters for what seemed like forever. "RHYTHM MASTERS!" The crowd went nuts and Abby hugged Simon.

"Meet me in Nick's dressing room after this." Simon whispered into Abby's ear. She walked over to the guys and congratulated them on their win. They sang their new single and confetti exploded into the room. The crowd danced to the upbeat song and the camera was turned off with a goodbye from Mario. Abby walked backstage to Nick's dressing room and started to cry her eyes out. Her dream was right in front of her, but it was smashed when she was at the finish line. She opened the door and Nick immediately hugged her.

"I am so sorry Abby. Maybe Simon will give you a contract. Don't think of this as the end of the world. Remember Abby? One Direction didn't win, yet they won the world. We can still make it, Abby. It isn't over for us." Abby wiped away the tears and sat down on the couch with Nick. "But hey. We got to see the boys preform tonight. That makes up for a lot, right?"

"Yeah." Abby laughed and smiled at the fact that she got to see her idols preform. Simon walked in and sat down in the wooden chair across from Nick and Abby.

"Look, you two have way too much talent to go to waste. Truthfully, Abby, you should've won." Abby smiled and wiped away another tear. "So, here's what I want to do." He pulled out his phone and sent a text to someone. Abby and Nick didn't know who, they really didn't care. "I want to sign both of you."

"Oh my God are you kidding me right now?" Abby practically shouted.

"The way we'll start is by writing a few songs for each of you and you'll be the opening acts for a group of mine." As soon as he said that, there was a knock on the door. "This is who you'll be opening for." Abby looked at Nick and he was looking at her, both of them confused as to who it would be. Simon unlocked the door and opened it. Abby screamed and covered her mouth as soon as she realized it. The five boys of One Direction piled into the room, just as confused as Nick and Abby.

"You will be opening for One Direction. Boys, I'm sure you already know Abby Torres and Nick Waters." Liam reached his hand out to shake Abby's hand when Nick said something Abby had hoped he wouldn't.

"Haha. Libby Tayne."

"What?" Liam asked.

"Oh. It's nothing really. It's a long story. But it's yours and Abby's ship name."

"Haha. Well, I like the sound of it." Liam smirked and the rest of the guys introduced themselves. Simon reminded them of their flight and they said goodbye to Abby and Nick. Once Simon closed the door, Abby and Nick fangirled. They pulled out their phones and started to tell their followers about the good news. They put down their phones and hugged each other while jumping and screaming.

"See Abby? We're going to open for One Direction. That's two dreams of ours come true. I can't believe it."

"Oh my God. I can't even begin to even. Like."

"I know!" Nick responded happily. They walked out of the room and went back to the X Factor house to get their stuff. Once everything was packed, they parted ways and flew home.