Chapter Twenty-One

Fred and I were caught by Umbridge and her little band of worshipers, to be more specific by Goyle, who hexed Fred and rotated my arm behind my back to get us back into Umbridge's office. Of course, not before we successfully hid Michael in a supply closet until it was safe for him to make his way to the Gryffindor common room. I could handle Umbridge's punishments, but I wasn't going to let anything happen to my little brother.

 We were placed in a long row of desks in Umbridge's office, all occupied by the members of Dumbledore's army for a nice, extra long detention, as Umbridge giggled it. Fred and I were put in desk towards the back, while I caught sight of Hunter and Laila towards the middle, and Claire and George on the second row.

Detention was excruciatingly painful. We were given a sentence to write, more or less carve, for one hundred times. I tried, oh did I try, not to cry out in pain. After a while, I was carving so deep into my hand, I could barely feel it. Other's however, could. I heard many sobs throughout the room, and looking away from my parchment, I caught signs of the poor girls who were crying, and the other's who were comforting them.

At one point, Hunter grabbed Laila's hand as she let out a rather loud sob, blood pooling on her parchment. Of course, Umbridge broke them up. And of course, Hunter grabbed her hand again. So, that gained him another hour of detention, which he accepted with a harsh glare.

When detention was over, Claire and I led Laila away from Umbridge's office and towards the girl's bathroom, where we each cleaned our bleeding wounds in the form of "I will not be in the DA." I'd left Fred behind with a somber look, wanting him to comfort me the same way he had done not so many nights before, when I had detention for pulling out my wand in class.

"There, there. See Laila? It's already healing. It's going to be alright. I bet it won't even leave a scar. Don't cry, sweetheart." Claire cooed to my brother's dark headed girlfriend as she cried a little more into her hands.

"It's not that." She sobbed. "It's the fact that Hunter has to have another whole hour of that torture, just because of me. His probably will scar, and it's all my fault!"

"Aw, Laila, it's not your fault. I've lived with Hunter all my life, and if there's one thing I know about that boy, it's that he's very strong willed. If he cared about the consequences, he wouldn't have grabbed your hand a second time." I said, wrapping my arms around the tiny girl's shoulders, handing her a tissue to dry her eyes and wipe her nose.

"You think he'll be okay? He won't be mad at me?" She asked after her crying had subsided.

"Of course not. Hunter's pretty tough, and he absolutely adores you. You have nothing to worry about." Claire said. Yet, even though Laila had nothing to worry about, I knew I did. My brother was sitting in that bitch's office, getting his hand sliced open over and over again. And there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. I felt so helpless.

"Come on, let's go back to the common room." I said, linking my arms with Laila and Claire's and leading our little trio back to the Gryffindor common room, exclaiming the password to a taunting fat lady and then proceeding inside her portrait.

"Riley!" Michael crashed into me, wrapping his arms around my waist firmly, almost knocking me over. I dropped Claire's and Laila's arms to grab my little brother, and steady myself.

"Hey, Michael. How are you?" I asked, smiling as the little boy peered up at me.

"What I want to know, is if you're okay? George showed me his hand. Does yours look like that?" He peered down at my right hand, but I quickly put it behind my back so he couldn't see, and flashed a glare at George, who was sitting on the couch with Claire curled into his lap, stroking her hair.