Running From Time

My father once told me "Elizabeth, you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you cannot pick your friends noses". I understand the logic behind that now of course but when I was around five I questioned why. Could you blame me I was five and curious.

So one day I did it.

I picked my friends nose.

Well to be honest she totally asked me indirectly. She was all like "ugh I need to scratch my nose but my hands have paint on them." So I took this as an opportunity to test the phrase on why I couldn't pick my friends nose.

Long story short she screamed, called me a freak and then told me to get away from her as she called the teacher and I had a very serious one to one talk with my teacher. She wasn't too impressed.

Then when I came home that day my father came up to me and yelled. He was upset that I didn't listen to what he insisted I didn't do.

Now that day my father seemed a bit off balance. He told me that his heart hurt ALOT and I didn't understand whether he was talking about the fact that he thought my mother didn't love him or that his heart actually hurt.

Then, while we were at the dinner table talking about each others days, my father stood up and went to get me a glass of water, when he was coming back he dropped the glass and fell to the floor. My mother rushed to him and them checked his pulse.

My father had died of a heart attack.

Then after that day my mother went into severe depression, she wouldn't sleep, she wouldn't eat, she wouldn't even pick up the broken shards of glass on the floor because it was the last of him. Then after she couldn't bear the pain any longer, she killed herself.

I was six when she did and then I moved in with my grandma. Ever since then I would think my parents were just sleeping. Like sleeping beauty they would awaken each other with a kiss that determined how strong there love is. That they would save each other some day. They never did wake up. And I now understand that they never will.

That is my life, I thought that's as dramatic as it was going to get. What I never thought would happen though, happened. Then it made my life a bit more interesting.

And it all happened in the summer of 2013.