Five

Luna

In last hour, I take a sheet of paper out of my backpack, and decide to write a note. To Luke.

I can't talk, so I might as well write. Communication is key, so I've heard. Maybe that's why I have no friends.

I start writing, something small and easy, not to freak him out.

Hi luke, i'm luna. I just wanted to say, or write, I guess, hi. I haven't really introduced myself to you. I'm not good with words either. I start to write a smiley face but then erase it. Then I write it back. I guess that's all, for now. love, L

I then erase the love and put from. Then I write it back.

_

The next day at lunch, I wait patiently for Luke.

When I hear his footsteps, I smile widely. But it's not just his, it's more.

Before I have time to get scared, Luke, and a girl turn the corner.

My heart drops. A girl. His girlfriend, it has to be.

He sits down, still far from me, and so does she. She's beautiful, perfect for him.

Darkish blonde hair with brown eyes, and freckles. She's not only short, but she's perfect.

He looks happy. He smiles and I hear his quiet voice say, "Elizabeth, no. Stay out of it. I don't like Luna!" And then he laughs.

As amazing as his laugh is, and the way he says my name, my heart breaks. He doesn't like me?

I take the note out I wrote to him and throw it, I then get up, and walk away. As I walk through the doors, I see Luke looking at me with a sad face, and Elizabeth looking at me too, confused.

_

I avoid looking towards Luke in art. I just paint my watercolor sky, and keep to myself; for the whole class.

When the bell rings, a note is slid to me.

My note. The one I wrote to Luke. He must have seen me throw it.

On the back of the note was one of his own.

Hi Luna, I'm Luke. (-: It's nice to meet you, or write you. All I've been able to think about is why you left at lunch today and looked so upset. Write me back?
Also, I'd like you to meet my sister Elizabeth, maybe you could be friends. Love, Luke.

You could see clear eraser marks under the word love, and it made me smile.

Sister? Elizabeth is his sister?
I got upset over a girl who was his sister. But he still told her he didn't like me. I guess I'll worry about that another time.

I write back a response, telling him I just forgot about a homework assignment, lying of course. As I walked out of my last class, across from my room, he walks out of his. He smiles and chews on his lip ring, and I can't help but stare at his lips.

He starts to slow down, almost as if to wait for me, and I walk up beside him. I take the note out my pocket, and put my hand out to give it to him. His hand reaches out, and grabs it from my own, and my heart beats faster.

"I'll see you in first hour." He says quietly, and I think my large smile is enough of an answer to him.

///

so excited for this I can't