Four

Luna (the next day)

I sigh as I walk out my front door. It isn't rainy today, but sunny, too sunny. I didn't get to tell my mom goodbye, she was too busy laying in bed with her new husband.

Honestly, he ruined my life. Everything was okay with my mom and I before he came along. He keeps asking me to call him dad. He isn't my dad. I had a dad, he died, that's it.

When I make it to school, Luke isn't in first hour. It makes me anxious. More anxious then usual; if that's possible.

I get through all my classes, waiting for lunch. Maybe he'll be there.

I sit down at my tree and wait, but he doesn't show up. What if he moved schools. What if he hates me. No. He doesn't even know me.

When I walk into art, the worst possible thing to happen, happens.

I hear the teacher say, "Everyone, pick a partner. Today, you will stand in front of the class and show us what you drew yesterday."

My biggest fear. Speaking in front of an audience.

My hands start to shake, and my breathing gets shallow. By time my name gets called, I feel like I'm going to pass out.

"Luna, I know you don't like this stuff, but it will be quick, I promise." The teacher says.

I stand up and walk to the front of the room, with my paper in hand. As I open my mouth to talk, Luke walks in.

He sits down quietly and I stare at him, scared to show my drawing. He gives me a small smile, and I take a deep breath.

I lift up the paper with shaky hands and I hear a few people start talking.
"That's so good."

"They look so real."

"Luna that's beautiful," Mrs. Starks says, "These eyes were stuck in your head, who's are they?"

I look towards Luke and feel my cheeks heat up. He looks down with also red cheeks.

He knows they're his eyes.

"I, um. I just drew them." I say, and without permission, sit down.

I bury my head in my hands and hear lukes name called. Maybe I'll finally get to see what he was drawing.

"Do I have to?" He says quietly.

"It's for a grade Luke, it's okay." I hear him let out a shaky breath and stand up.

I keep my head down until I hear, "What an amazing drawing of Luna. That's incredible."

What? I look up quickly at the paper and it's me. It's me at lunch, sitting against the tree. Im looking away in the drawing, up at the sky. I feel goosebumps invade my skin, spreading everywhere. My eyes dart across it; perfect details of my face are etched into the paper. It's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

I was stuck in his mind.

Me.

Our eyes meet for just a second, and my heart drops.

He rushes to his seat, and puts his head down, like I had done before.

When the bell rings, I see Luke write something on the drawing. He puts it in front of me and walks away.

In the corner of the drawing, I read,

I'm not good with words, but I think the drawing of my eyes was beautiful, just like you.

///
dear lord lucas you're killing me