Chapter 16

"Hey, Lou?" I asked curiously.  There's something that hasn't left my mind since this morning.

"Yeah, Calla?" he asked. We're stopped at a stop sign right now. We are leaving the school parking lot. 

"Why did you guys perform at my school today?"

He was quiet for a moment, thinking about what to say.

"We asked if we could. At first he didn't want to allow it, but he said the whole student body had done remarkably on their tests, so he let us, saying it'd be a treat for you guys," he told me. 

"Oh. Well, I'm glad he did. You guys were amazing!" I said happily.

"Thanks," he replied quietly.  He concentrated on the road.

We rode in silence, the only sound was the wind. For the first time since I've known Louis, the silence was uncomfortable. It felt like there was something more he wanted to add, yet didn't know how to say it. 

We pulled into my driveway and Louis parked the car. He hopped out of the vehicle and walked over to my side, opening the door and helping me out. He held my hand in his and walked me to my door. 

"Would you like to come in?" I asked quietly. He shook his head.

"Not today. I've got something I have to do after this," he said, quickly bending down and kissing my cheek. I frowned.

"Okay, well, I'll see you Saturday then," I said, "Bye!" I waited until he drove off to go inside.

I ran up to my room and plugged in my phone so it could charge.

I ran into my bathroom and went over to the bathtub, turning the water on and waiting for it to warm up. I put the plug in and waited as it filled up. I quickly added a bit of bath salts before stepping out of my clothes and sinking down into the water until it was up to my shoulders. 

I let out a content sigh and closed my eyes. 

****

 "What about you?" Jan asks.

"What about me what?"

"You talk a lot about what Claire and Jillian think about love. What about you?"

"Love? No thank you."

"I don't know," Jan says. He pauses so long I think he's finished, but then he takes a deep breath. "I think love is like candy."

"I don't like candy, either," I say.

He smiles at me and shakes his head. "I think anyone who says they don't like candy just hasn't found the right flavor."

I yawned and marked my place in my book. I looked at my alarm clock to see what time it was. 9:45. Time for sleep.

I turned my bedside lamp off and laid down. I pulled the cover over me and drifted off into a dreamless sleep.