Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

(Madeline's POV)

I stood next to Edmund on the top of the hill overlooking the battlefield. Lucy and Susan were with us as well.

"Well, I guess this is it." I said with a huff. The three looked at me. Thankfully my grim expression was hidden underneith my mask. I honestly was a worried wreck. I almost couldn't breathe. I looked down at Peter, who was standing on the front lines, leading our army. He turned his head to look at me, and waved. I couldn't help but smile and wave back. He was such a goof ball.

"I love you." I whispered so no one could hear my voice accept for me. I wished Peter could have heard me. I wish that this horrible war wouldn't have happened. I wish so many things, but none of my good imaginary ideas were meant to be. And it hurt my heart. Why was fate such a cruel and ruthless thing?

Lucy grabbed my hand and looked up at me.

"I'm sorry." Lucy said. I wrapped my arms around her, tears springing out of my eyes.

"Sorry for what?" I asked her. She sighed.

"For everything. I feel like if we hadn't come to live with you and the professor, none of this would've happened." Lucy said, small tears falling down her cheeks. I looked into her eyes and smiled.

"I don't regret meeting all of you. I wouldn't change a single thing that has happened to me." I said to her. We both smiled, and heard a horn sound.

The battle was about to begin.

"Everyone ready?" I asked. They all nodded. I looked down at my beaver parents, and they smiled up at me. They didn't know about the prophacy, and they never will. I felt so bad, knowing that they would have to go through the pain of losing me all over again. I gave them a small smile, praying that they would survive the battle.

"For Narnia! For Aslan! And for the future Queen!" I heard Peter shout from below. I felt my face turning red, and tears falling down my cheeks. Why did he have to say that? Did he know that he was just making this harder for me? I felt myself getting dizzy, but fought it off.

"Get ready." I said as the battle progressed and worked it's way up the hill. Soldier after soldier fell, making my heart ache. These poor people were dying, and I couldn't do anything to save them. I couldn't help them. I was a failure, a horrible queen. I didn't deserve to rule my home kingdom. I deserved to be my aunt's maid for the rest of my life.

"Madi! Watch out!" Lucy shouted, pulling me back to reality. I barely had time to react as a minotaur charged at me. I blocked it's attack, and stabbed it in the back. He roared in pain, then went limp. I looked around and lost sight of all the Pevensies. That wasn't good.

"Lucy! Edmund! Susan!" I screamed as I fought off the attacking enemy soldiers. I had to find them. I didn't want them getting hurt, other wise I would blame myself for not standing by their sides. I would hate myself forever if Lucy died because of me. The scent of blood filled the air, scaring me. Screams and shouts of pain and agony filled the air, many of them coming from my victims as I struck each one down.

"No!" I heard someone shout. I spun around and saw that the witch had snuck up on me. Edmund had split the witch's sceptor in half, draining it of it's power. The witch glared at Ed, and swung back to strike him.

Everything that happened next felt like it was going in slow motion.

I remember pushing Ed out of the way. I felt something cold pierce my stomach, and the witch shouting in frustration. She had missed her target, Edmund, and had stabbed me instead. Peter shouted my name as he watched the whole thing occure. The witch bent down and whispered in my ear like she had the night of my first death.

"I killed you once, and failed. This time I shall not make that mistake again." she said and yanked her broken sceptor out mf my stomach. She stabbed me again in the chest, causing me to stop breathing, then slammed me against the ground. I heard a lion roar, and Peter scream again. I felt my head hit a rock, and everything began to become dizzy.

After a few moments, I felt like I had left my own body. I looked down at Peter and the other Pevensies as they crowded around my injured body. Peter held my dying form in his arms, his tears falling onto my face like they had the night before.

"Madi...please." he whispered in my ear. I felt my own tears swelling up. He seemed so fragile, so helpless. I wanted to hold him, to tell him that everything would be alright. But I couldn't. I couldn't do anything accept watch. Peter said my name louder, trying to get me to wake up. But he knew that would never happen. They all knew as they cried over me. Lucy held onto strands of my hair, gently wrapping it around her fingers.

Edmund grabbed my hand, and held it to his cheek. The poor boy, he seemed so misunderstood. And now he was losing me, and I was losing him. If he had only been a few years older, I swear I would've fallen in love with him instead of Peter. I sighed, and held my head in my hands. I sobbed, wanting to wake up from this horrible nightmare that I was living in. Suddenly the world around me began to spin, and I started to lose consciousness.

"I'm so sorry, Peter. I love you. I love you so much. Please don't forget me." I said, praying that he could hear me. I was shocked when he whispered in my ear.

"I love you too. I promise, I won't forget you." he said to me. I could see a small sad smile on his face, and then the world around me disappeared completely. I stood in a world filled with white. I looked around, seeing nohing but pure white.

"You've done well, young one." I heard a voice say behind me. I spun around, and saw the great and mighty lion, Aslan. I ran to him, and hugged him.

"Please take care of them." I said to him. He just chuckled, and I heard a wooshing sound swirl around me. I glanced around, and saw each Pevensie appear. Lucy, Edmund, Susan, and then Peter.

"Children, you all have witnessed Narnia for the first time, it won't be your last. When you all see each other, I want you to give each other the signal." he said and looked at me. I nodded, understanding what he meant.

"What will the signal be?" Lucy asked. Aslan smiled.

"Madi, show them." he said to me. I took a step forward. I wrote an invisible N on my cheek, and then crossed my heart. That was the signal.

"Show each other the signal, that way you all know that this was more than a dream." he said, we all nodded. We understood why he was telling us this. What had happened in Narnia wasn't just a dream. It never had been, and never will be.

"Til we meet again." Aslan said, and the world began to turn black.

"No! Wait! Madi!" Peter shouted and reached for me. I reached for him as well. But I couldn't see him anymore. I couldn't see anything.

Then I woke up.