30 * Bryton Bay

Vote and Comment to show your support!

Chapter 30: Bryton Bay

There wasn't a larger celebration than New Years Eve unless it was July Fourth in Bryton. A large majority of the population (Though I liked to think that it was the entire population on the beach, because 'team spirit!') would alway be there on the white sand of Bryton Bay, the beach that was four miles long in length, and with not nearly enough parking for the entire town.

Our family preferred the North end and always had, parking ourselves on the sand as a small crowd rather than a family. Mom went off on Callum's arm immediately, surrounded by those doting on her. Elliot would be here soon. Finn sat down on the picnic blanket with Theo, and Angus ran off with his school friends. Robin had disappeared too. Cliff and Harriet were sitting behind me on chair weighed into the sand with stones. They'd left the kitten at home, and brought a feast of food instead. 

I stood beside Casper, with his arm around my shoulders. 

"It's been ten years since I've been here for New Years."

"Mom's gotten drunk every time. Don't worry about missing out."

Casper grinned. "I was trying to be sentimental, you know."

I tried not to be nervous. Would Hayden be able to find me? I wondered if whether he'd be up the North end too, because this was the end that his sister was buried at behind the little white church, but maybe that meant he stayed far, far away from this end. 

I was still angry at him. 

It was far colder when the sun went down, and I wrapped my jacket around me. "Yeah, well, good luck with that. This is New Years Eve. Everyone gets drunk and lights things on fire."

"Do people still go swimming?"

"Did people ever go swimming? It's freezing!"

The bay's waters were shimmering with the moon's silver, and the waves were gentle and small. It was rougher at the South end. "People do stupid things sometimes."

I hugged him, arms slipping under his jacket to where it was warm. 

"Who's being sentimental now, Charlie?"

"Dork."

"Nerd."

I winced. He frowned, looking down at me. "Charlie?"

"Nothing." I mumbled. 

"Sorry. I shouldn't have called you names."

"You had every right to, idiot. I'm just cold."

"Okay." He hugged me tighter. I grinned. 

"Wait until 12 o'clock for the PDA, Casper! Oh. It's you."

"What a way to make an entrance, Elliot." I said sourly, as he leaned down to give me a hug. Then he clapped Casper on the back. 

"Good that you're here, man."

"It's good to be back."

"You're an ass."

"You've clarified this."

"Good." 

I turned away from them and stood with my hand in my pockets, wondering what it'd be like to live a normal life. 

But Dr Moore had told me that it was no good to think about things that were out of my reach. Beyond my limit. Too far behind. 

~