Pure of Heart II

"Nicki you really need to see a doctor. There is something wrong with you and I don't know what it'll take for you to admit it. Will it take you being on your death bed?" Elena had been trying to get Nicki to go to a doctor for the last hour.

"I already told you that I can't afford it and I can't miss work. I'll be fine," she brushed it off.

"Drake would give you the money in a heartbeat," she mumbled.

"I don't want his money, his sympathy, or anything else he wants to give me. The only thing he needs to do is take care of Kari," she snapped. Elena knew better than to bring up Drake.

"It was thirteen years ago Nic. He was young and so were you. Obviously he changed because he's taking care of Kari. Why don't you just give him a second chance? Doesn't everyone deserve a second chance?" Elena's words threw Nicki into a flashback.

"Just give me a second chance and I'll prove it to you," Drake pleaded with Nicki. They've been going back and forth for hours.

"What's the point of a second chance when nothing will change?" She sat on the bed and closed her eyes out of frustration.

"It can start by this," Nicki opened her eyes to find him down on one knee.

"Aubrey," her eyes went wide.

"I don't care about our age and that we're young. I don't care what anyone else thinks. Fuck what our parents want for us. I just want you to be happy and I'll do anything for you. I wanna be able to call you my wife. Will you marry me?" He looked up at her.

Nicki snapped out of it and looked back at Elena. "I'd rather see him burn in hell than give him a second chance," Nicki ended the conversation and got ready for work.

It's been four days and Kari hadn't uttered another word to him. He's been trying to figure out how to help Nicki but came up short. He just wanted to take care of them but he knew that Nicki held a huge grudge against him. It's not like he didn't deserve it but he's changed and he only wanted to prove it. He got up and walked to Kari's room.

"Kari?" He knocked before entering. He didn't see her but he heard the toilet flush and connected the dots. He walked over to her bed and saw a notebook opened. He picked up the notebook and there were drawings. They weren't regular drawings; they were drawings of monsters and demons.

"Don't touch my stuff," Kari snatched it out of his hands.

"Why would you draw stuff like that?" He saw some pretty disturbing stuff in that notebook.

"It's all I see in my head," she sighed.

"Why would you see monsters and demons in your head?" He walked closer to her. Flashbacks ran through her mind as she tried to fight them off.

"Stay here," Nicki told Kari as shots fired off.

"Mommy I'm scared," she cried. Kari was only six at the time but she was used to this.

"I know baby but just stay in the closet. I'll go make sure everything is safe," she kissed her head before walking out. Kari opened the door slightly and saw through the window in her room. People were getting shot on the spot and they were setting some houses on fire. She moved closer and placed her hand on the window. A guy looked up and spotted her by the window. He smirked before aiming his gun at the window and pulling the trigger. Kari screamed and ran out of the way but window shattered. She touched her hand against the back of her neck and felt blood.

She touched the back of her neck and remembered the feeling of glass going through her skin. She looked at him and just shook her head. "Because I do," she dismissed it. Drake sighed because he knew that was all he would get out of her for right now. "Can I talk to my mom?" She asked. He nodded while grabbing his phone and calling her. Kari took the phone and waited for her to pick up.