Chapter 4

Josh

It was horrible, watching the light in her eyes disappear, watching her break.
  I walked over to her bed and sat down next to her. Tears were staining her cheeks. Amber collapsed into my arms.
I began to sooth her by hugging her close. The door opened quietly and Amber's best friend, Samantha, slipped in.
  She glared at me, as if Amber's tears were my fault. Her brown eyes dug into my blue ones until she noticed the nurse staring at her.
  She gave a small wave and the nurse sighed and walked out of the room.
  Sam, Samantha, walked over to Amber and rested a hand on her back.
  Amber turned and saw her friend, tears still streaming down her face.
  Sam smiled. "If it makes you feel any better, I broke my pinkie." She held up her left pinkie finger.
  Amber laughed. "Thanks, Sam." She took a few deep breaths and mostly calmed down. "What am I going to do? I can't live on my own."
  Sam and I spoke at the same time, "We'll take you in."
  Sam and I glared at each other.
  "I could live with both of you! I'm sure we can work out something or another!" Amber shrugged.
  "No!" Sam said.
  "Maybe," I shot back.
  Amber laughed. "Knock it off you two."
  If only Amber had kept that attitude.