Chapter Fifteen

3 weeks later

3 weeks later...

Dave

"Daddy do I look ok?"

"No, you look like you're going to a club."

"Daddy!"

"Yes Tori, you look fine. Damn."

"Are you sure?!"

"Yes! Now get back in there and get ready to come out with your class. I'll be watching."

She nodded her head and turned on her heels, slightly running back to wherever she came from. Until she was out of sight, I turned and made my way back to the auditorium. Today was finally the day. Graduation. It's been a long and very eventful school year, and now it was coming to an end. Finally.

I walked through the hallway of the rather large community college, pushing through the corridor leading to the family seating section. More parents and family members started to pile in. I looked down at my apple watch, seeing that the time was 6:00 p.m. Graduation started at 7 sharp and they were almost ready to start. Why the hell was it so late anyways?

I walked back over to my seat, sitting between Stephon and Austin. Before Tori called me downstairs to see her, I met the rest of her friends. Valerie, Jeremiah, Anthony's mother Yasmine, and Gabriella's aunt Nicole. 

"Hey man. She alright?"

I sat down in my seat, turning my head to Stephon. He and I go way back. "Yeah she's alright. Asking me if she looks okay, do I look like Gabriella?" 

We shared a laugh before I turned my attention over to Austin. I wouldn't say Im exactly thrilled about him and my daughter, but Im starting to warm up to him. I know a lot more about him now, so thats a good thing. And now that Im in town, I can keep an eye on them for the time being. He loves Tori a lot, and even a blind man can see how much she loves him. 

"Austin, why you let my daughter come out the house like that man? Y'all going to the strip club after or what?" 

"Dave, you know she hard headed."

He was right. Tori was going to do whatever the hell she wanted to do. I occupied myself on my cellphone before I put it in my pocket. The time was now 6:30 p.m. and I was ready for this to start. I couldn't wait to see my baby girl walk on stage and accept her diploma. She got accepted to the school she's been dreaming about for years, and I couldn't be more proud. 

More and more parents started to settle in, causing me to suck my teeth. If its something I hate, its tardiness. How could you show up at this time before the start time of your child's graduation? That's what you call slackness. 

I heard a familiar voice, causing me to snap my head in the direction of the entrance. Tori told me about their little encounter the other day, but I thought nothing of it. Now she really had the nerve to come here?