Chapter 1

Rey had been training with Luke Skywalker for months. Her skills had improved greatly, and she had a much stronger connection with the force. Currently, Rey was flying the Millennium Falcon away from the secluded island she had lived on for months, and to the base of the Resistance. A meeting with General Leia Organa was planned, and she was to return to the island to continue her training afterwards. As Rey worked with the controls of the ship, she began to reflect on a conversation she shared with Luke earlier.

"Master, where did you inherit your force sensitivity from?" Rey wondered, after the pair had just finished meditating.

"I inherited the force from my father, young one." Luke replied, as he stared off into the vast depths of the island thoughtfully. Rey wondered where she inherited the force from, as she had never known either of her parents. The girl decided to keep that thought to herself.

"Did you know your father?" She asked, instead.

"I did, for a short amount of time." Luke spoke. "I lived on Tatooine with my aunt and uncle when I was your age, and did not meet my father until later."

"What was he like?" Rey wondered, out of curiosity. Han Solo had been the closest to a father the girl had ever had, and she imagined that if she did grow up with a father, he would be somewhat like Han.

"His name was Anakin Skywalker. He was a skilled and courageous Jedi Knight that fought in The Clone Wars. Through out his life, he suffered greatly and endured a lot of sadness, to the point where he abandoned the light and turned to the dark side." Luke replied, wistfully. Rey widened her eyes in surprise.

"He turned to the dark side?!" She exclaimed, with disbelief.

"Yes, young one. You may better know him as Darth Vader." The Last Jedi spoke, gazing upon his apprentice with gentle blue eyes.

"What happened to him, Master?" Rey asked, sitting up straighter with interest. This was not how she expected this conversation to go.

"In the end, Rey, my father saved me from death and returned to the light. There had been good in him all along." Luke smiled softly.

"People can return from the dark side, Master?" Rey spoke, returning the smile.

"Yes, my apprentice. If they finally see all that the darkness cannot provide them, they can." The Jedi confirmed.

"What is it, that the darkness cannot provide, Master?" Rey wondered.

"Rey, have I ever told you that you ask a lot of questions?" Luke replied, smiling at the girl fondly. Rey smiled back at the man sheepishly.

"Love, young one. The power of love can save anyone from the darkness." The Jedi Master finished. In that moment, Rey felt as if the words spoken by her Master had never contained such strong meaning.