1 - Together Or Not At All - Clato

A/N: Can I please just stress to you all that I do not in any way own any of the characters in this story unless specified, they all belong to Suzanne Collins.

I picked the version where Luke Friend is singing Kiss From A Rose by Seal because it's my favourite version. Also, I chose this song because, for me, I think it describes Cato's love for Clove. As well, I thought the title was ironic. Like a kiss of death (Rose = Snow...? Anyone? OK. I'll go and hide now...)

And enjoy :)

****

6 YEARS BEFORE THE 74TH HUNGER GAMES

CLOVE

“I’m Cato.”

I turned around took in the blonde boy stood behind me in the line for the tryouts for the academy.

“Clove.”

“Cool… You excited for the tryouts?”...

“Nervous but… No. I’m Not.”

“Why?”

I winced. I barely even knew this guy…

“I’d rather not…”

He nodded.

A voice crackled over the intercom.

“Clove Angeline.”

I nodded at Cato and entered the room.

THE YEAR OF THE 74TH HUNGER GAMES

CATO - On The Train

“WHY!” She screamed at me. “WHY DID YOU VOLUNTEER CATO! You said that you WOULDN’T!”

I groaned.

“Clove… I… I’m sorry… I…”

“Don’t make excuses!”

And then Clove, unshakeable, tough as nails, sarcastic Clove, started to… cry!?!? But whilst she was crying, she ran towards the dining table.

The dining table.

With the knives on it.

Oh.

Not good.

I ran to try and stop her, but she got there before I did and threw a knife at me. I whirled backwards and the knife skimmed the top of my head, shaving off some tips of my hair.

“Clove! Stop!” I yelled as she went for another knife. She paused. I took this as a good sign. “Clove, you remember, six years ago, when we’d both done our tryouts right?” She nodded. “And you told me about your Dad forcing you to tryout. And I remember that you said you didn’t want to die in the games. And then I promised I’d protect you. This is me keeping that promise. Together or not at all, right?”

She looked up at me, the tears drying up.

“Cato… I… I’m sorry…”

She paused for a moment, and when she looked at me again, I saw a different emotion in her eyes.

“Cato, I think I might love you,” she whispered.

I grinned. It was about time she admitted it.

“I love you too Clove.”

I drew her to me as we rode to the Capitol.

IN THE 74TH HUNGER GAMES

CATO

“Cato! CATO!”

I heard her screaming for me and forgot what I was doing, searching for lover boy. I ran, scratches appearing on my face as the branches whipped past me. I burst into the clearing by the lake and saw Thresh disappearing into the field, whilst Twelve ran flat out into the woods. I ignored them though. All my attention was focused on the figure lying on the floor. My Clove.

“CLOVE!”

The agonized yell tore from my throat before I realised I was moving forward. I fell to my knees beside her.

“No… Clove… Stay with me! Please Clove!” I whispered as my hands fluttered over her.

“Cato… I love you.” She whispered, her wide eyes full of emotion, but already clouding with death. Those eyes that I love began to dull. I lowered my mouth to hers and gave her one last kiss, ignoring the fact we were on national television and our romance was meant to be a secret. Clove was the only thing in my world, and even she was being ripped from me. When I opened my eyes, she was dead.

A single tear fell from my face to hers, so small that the cameras couldn’t possibly pick up. But fall it did, and with it, I felt the last thing I cared about disappear forever into the void. I looked up as an unquenchable rage and sorrow filled me.

Thresh was a dead man.

CATO - ON TOP OF THE CORNUCOPIA

I don’t think the pair realised what I was doing.

I had no intention of winning, but the audience still needed a good show.

I stood with lover boy in a chokehold, Katniss’ arrow pointing at me.

“Go ahead. Do it. Do it and we both go down and you win.” I said bitterly. The mutts yapped below us, hungry for blood. They were going to get it.

I smiled as Peeta painted a cross on my hand. Clever lover boy.

“Together or not at all Clove. Together or not at all.” I whispered as the arrow flew towards my hand. I released Peeta and fell backwards. I hit the floor and made my choice, closing my eyes.

I would bear it all for her.

“Together or not at all.”