Chapter 8• The Great Move

Carolina's POV

I cleaned the last shelf and slowly went down the steps of the ladder but suddenly, my right foot slipped on a certain step. I thought I was going to fall when I looked down and saw Aunt Colette holding the ladder, supporting me while I gripped on the two railings of it.

"My goodness, child! You should be more careful climbing down the steps." She exclaimed while I smiled at her sheepishly. She shook her head at me as I came down, "Go to the desk and do your duty. I'll go outside for a bit and do grocery shopping, okay?" I nodded and walked towards the desk. She slipped on her coat and walked outside of the cold winter air with her basket. I checked the date on the calendar behind me, 13th of December, 2015. Just a few days left and it's Christmas. I sighed to myself, I need to get a better job than being a librarian. Or a job with better salary. I pity myself and Aunt Colette, she's already old enough to work and I'm the only one she can lean on.

Her family left her here in Carlisle and migrated to Seattle, Washington. She worked as a librarian too back then, when my mom left me here with her and said that she'll be back for me but it's been twenty years already and no sign of my mother. I never knew how she looked, I was only an infant when she left me. Aunt Colette told me she was so beautiful like me, so calm, courageous and kind. She left us money but it wasn't enough throughout the years.

For all my life, I wondered who my parents were. What do they look like, what do they do for a living, or do they still want to have me as their daughter? I don't know but that didn't stop me for living a peaceful life. I never mind about it, I'll just wait for the future and what it has for me.

I fixed the documents all in order and stamped the returned books then put them into a pile on the wheel cart. Some college students went in and gave their library card to me so they can borrow books, some read here and some returned what they have already borrowed. I put my hair in a ponytail and sighed, I wish I was in college. I wanted to learn more but with our money, I don't think I can.

"And what seems to be upsetting you, m'lady?"

I grinned and looked up to him, "Hi Carolina, nice to see you again." I nod at him as a greeting.

He showed me his library card and returned the book he borrowed from me, he loves historical books. Especially about United Kingdom and the Victorian era. I don't know why he kept reading those but I guess it's his hobby. I looked at him with a questionable look, he smiled. "You still wanna know why I read those kind of books?" I nodded.

"You're so stubborn," he patted my head and I playfully pout at him.

He leaned his arms on the desk and moved closer to me, "I'm a professor in the university. I teach history to the kids." I should have known, with his satchel and all. But he doesn't look like a professor. He looked so young, I thought he's still in college studying. "Now what's bothering you?" He asked. I gave him a knowing look and he whistled slowly, "Money again, huh?" I nodded symphatically. He smiled at me and brought his satchel right in front of me, he opened it and handed me some sort of flyer. I looked at him then back at the paper in my hands.

It says, WANTED: MAID. IN MANCHESTER, SALARY: £120, 000 PER MONTH.

My eyes widen at the given amount. It's too big for being a maid! And Manchester? I can't leave Aunt Colette and go south from here. This is too much, before I hand the flyer back to Liam, Aunt Colette sauntered in and took off her coat. She turned and looked at me then to Liam. She warmly smiled at him, "Oh Liam, dear. How are you?" She asked.

"Doing just fine, Aunt Colette. And you?"

She shrugged, "Working hard as ever." He smiled at her and then turned to me. "So, are you accepting it?" I shook my head quickly. Aunt Colette approached the both of us and took the flyer from me. She read it thoroughly and hummed once in a while. She gave the flyer to Liam and turned to me then to Liam, and back to me. She smirked, "When's the next train station to Manchester?" My mouth went agape as I gasped in surprise. I shook my head quickly and went out of the desk to Aunt Margarita. I took her hands with me and shook my head again with worried look.