Chapter 24

"Looking a bit ragged, aren't we, Sirius? Finally the skin reflects the madness within." Lupin said, completely ignoring the four students he had taught for most of the year. Robyn felt betrayed, angry, scared. She wanted to laugh, let the sound rip through the room and laugh more.

"You'd know all about the madness within, wouldn't you, Remus?"

The two raggedy men regarded eachother, the moment taut with tension, then, like they were old pals, they embraced eachother, patting the others back brotherly.

"No! I trusted you! I covered up for you. And all this time you've been his friend!" Hermione cried, her eye's filling with tears and her voice cracking.

Her body was rigid with fury. She pointed a finger a Lupin. "He's a werewolf! That's why he's been missing classes!"

Ron, Harry and Robyn stared, dumbfounded, at Lupin. Sirius howled, looking bitterly amused. Remus eyed him then turned back to the four students.

"How long have you known?" Remus asked.

"Since Professor Snape set the essay."

"You're the brightest witch of your age I've ever met, Hermione." Lupin replied with a tight smile.

"Yes, you glow like the sun. And you howl at the moon. Enough talk! He dies. Now. If you won't do it with me, Remus, I'll do it alone."

"Wait, Sirius --" Lupin cut in.

Ron shivered in the corner. He hated how Sirius kept looking in his direction. His leg throbbed with pain and he felt feverish.

Harry stood, his wand stiffly at the side of him. He could not believe Lupin would betray them like that. He had helped Harry fight the Dementors. He had warned Harry about Sirius. He had told him how lovely his parents were. And all he did was lie. He had lied to him all year. It made Harry want to kick the wall and scream out in rage and despair. Why was everything so confusing? Why did it always involve him? He stared at his Professor and Godfather numbly, not sure what to think anymore. He was not sure what to do anymore. He felt hopeless.

Hermione, now she felt the most betrayed of them all. She had kept Lupin's secret. Even from her three best friends too whom she tells them everything. She was scared, angry. She wanted to get out of the Shrieking Shack and take Ron up to the Hospital Wing to see if he was okay. She also felt hopeless.

"I did my waiting! Twelve years of it! In Azkaban! Trust me, you wouldn't have lasted a week!" Sirius barked, his face crinkling in rage. He sounded insane, deranged, psychotic.

Lupin eyed Black, then nodded curtly.

Robyn stared at Lupin, horrified, as a twisted grin found its way on to Sirius' face. It looked strange on him, the smile. It made him look younger, more youthful. It made him look handsome, like he once was back when he was younger.

Robyn wanted to cry, scream and do nothing. She felt numb to the bone, not sure what to do and not sure what to feel. She felt disconnected. She couldn't stand the thought of Sirius touching Harry. She had had too many nightmares about it to last a lifetime and she just could not believe Professor Lupin was helping him. He had helped both her and Harry when they needed it, and now he was chucking it all away. All their trust.

"All right then. As you wish..." Lupin said, solemnly.

"No!" Harry and Robyn yelled in unison, horror-struck.

Robyn felt tears fill her eyes as she stared at Remus with frightened but pleading eyes.

"Professor, please! Stop this!" Robyn cried, desperation coating her words as her body started to shake.