Chapter 17

The Castle was deadly silent. Night had fallen, and the millions of stars shone brilliantly over Hogwarts.

Everyone was asleep, even the Professor's as they were assured no student would break the rules at this time of night. Even the ghosts floated in midair, apparently asleep. If not, they just took in the silence, having the time to themselves.

But one person lay awake...Harry. He stared up at a picture of his parents, trying to use the bright night sky to his advantage. But even after an hour of Harry staring at the picture of his parents, wishing they were here, he too had to sleep and soon the picture lay on his chest, his gentle breathing soft against the loud snores of Ronald Weasley.

Suddenly, the peace left the castle. The night seemed not so calm anymore. The wind howled loudly and the sky seemed to glare at everything, making it cower into darkness.

Robyn bolted up. Nothing in particular woke her up. She was having a pleasant dream but somehow a cold sweat glazed her forehead and her breathing came out ragged and heavy. A tight knot of anticipation filled her stomach, never leaving. She had a bad feeling but she did not know why. She lay awake from then on, jumping at the slightest of sounds, waiting and knowing all hell was going the break loose soon.

The Sneakoscope, Ron had gotten Harry, blared to life. The whirling of the small machine so extreme, it whizzed all along the wooden surface, it was placed upon. The Sneakoscope only stopped when it hit the glass of water Harry had put there before going to bed. The clicking of the Sneakoscope against glass sounded oddly like a owl tapping against a window, asking for access in. Though this was much more graver than any owl.

"Aaaahhhh!"

The yell echoed through the boys dorm, shooting Harry awake. His vibrant green eye's immediately landed on a dark silhouette. He could see the outline of a knife. Harry stared, paralysed. Suddenly his senses woke up too, his heart hammered in his chest. A man with a knife stood over a bed. Ron's bed. Ron had been the one who screamed. All of the boys were up now, their faces hidden by darkness. Harry grabbed his wand in an instant, like it was his second nature.

"Everybody out!" Harry bellowed, his voice strong, his instinct to put others before himself taking control. The others didn't need telling twice and fled then and there, out of the boys dorm.

But the boy's weren't the only ones to exit their dorm. Robyn had heard the commotion and ran down to the Common Room as fast as her legs would carry her. She knew this would happen but that did not ease her. She still clutched her wand tightly in her hand as if it was her life support and she still staggered on her feet, feeling lightheaded and scared.

"Show yourself." Harry yelled, his wand poised at the mysterious shadow. Harry was scared. He had a suspicion on who it was. No, he knew who it was and it frightened him. But it also sent white-hot anger coursing through his veins. Standing in front of him was a traitor.

The man standing in front of Harry sold out his parents. The man is the reason why his parents are dead. The supposedly best friend of Lily and James. He was their downfall. Their biggest mistake.

A loud crash interrupted Harry's thoughts. His glass of water smashed to the floor and Scabbers raced through his legs, Crookshanks hot on his tail. Harry didn't even have time to react. Within a blink of an eye, the silhouette had grasped the curtain and swung out of the window. Harry didn't even have time to stop it. To stop him. He didn't have time to even send a jinx at him. He felt angry at himself. Ashamed. Sad.

He rushed to the window, looking out into the harsh night. Harry could see the silhouette leaping from ledge to ledge with animal's grace. Then suddenly, he vanished. Just like that.