Chapter Forty

"Hey." I greet Tasha before turning back to Ava and tightening my grip on her hand.

"I was not expecting to see you here." She smiles and I almost don't notice that she has make up caked onto a black eye.

I said almost.

Her gaze falls to Ava and her smile falls. "Still dragging her around I see."

Alan stands from his seat. "Yo, watch yoself."

Tasha glances at him and stops talking, but only for a moment. "Damion?" She calls.

He enters the room and narrows his eyes at me. I remember why when I see a large cut on his forehead, his busted lip, and his semi-black eye.

"Damn, who beat yo ass?" Alan asks with a chuckle.

Damion doesn't respond but I let out a slight chuckle.

"Was it you, Santo?" Alan asks, smiling.

I nod and he busts out laughing. "Damn." He daps me up, nodding. "You aight lil nigga."

---

The atmosphere at the dinner table is awkward and silent.

Everybody eats as if waiting for someone else to break the silence.

I hold Ava's hand in mine firmly, silently excited that the man has not returned to my thoughts at Tasha's presence.

After another long minute of silence, Tasha speaks.

"What happened to your wrist?" She asks me.

Everyone's eyes find me and I drop my fork and place both of my hands in my lap as I think of a response. "Nothing. My wrist is fine. What happened to your eye?"

She narrows her eyes at me. "I don't think your wrist is fine. I saw a scar. Have you been cutting?"

Xavier clears his throat and pushesbhis chair out. "I'm gonna go to the bathroom." He announces as if any of us care.

He leaves the room and all eyes find me again as I fail to respond to Tasha.

"Tasha, just shut up." Ava speaks for me.

Tasha turns to her. "Or what? You gonna jump on me again like you did at the little bookstore?"

Ava pits her fork down and before she can respond, I grab her hand and glance over at her.

She stares at me for a moment and exhales deeply. "I'm gonna go outside. If you'll all excuse me." She pushes her chair out forcefully and takes her hand from mine, leaving the room.

I sigh. "I should go talk to her." I push my chair out and start to stand when Tasha speaks again.

"Yep. Go chase her just like you chased me. It won't work." She says smugly.

---

Ava

I stand outside, trying to calm myself so I won't snap and drag Tasha across the dinner table.

Slow footsteps sound and I let out a sigh, knowing that it is Chresanto.

"I'm fine Chres." I say.

"I'm not Chres." A voice answers.

I turn and see Xavier standing there, hands shoved in his pockets.

I roll my eyes. "Go away."

"Why? It's clear that he isn't coming to check on you." He retorts.

"Fuck you." I snap.

"Miss me that much huh?" He asks.

"Miss you? Fuck boy please." I wave home off and turn to make my way back inside.

He steps in my way, blocking the door.

"We need to talk Ava." He says seriously.

"We don't need to do shit." I reply, trying to move past him.

"Seriously...do you ever wonder why we ended the way we did?" He asks.

I shake my head. "I know why we ended that way. You got my sister pregnant."

"And I'm sorry." He says.

"Bullshit. You married her too."

"Ok yeah I married her. But do you know why?" He starts. "I married her because you and I weren't right for each other. She and I...we are."

I scoff. "Can you move?"

He doesn't and I push him, making him stumble only slightly. "Don't touch me Ava."

I roll my eyes. "Then move dammit. I push him again and this time, he steps forward until my back is against the railing of the patio. His fists are balled at his side. "What did I just say?"

"Who the fuck are you talking to like that?" I hear behind him.

I look up to see Chresanto standing behind Xavier, his fists also balled and his jaw clenched.

Xavier backs away from me and doesn't say anything else as he makes his way back into the house. Chresanto walks over to me.

"Are you okay?"

I nod, but I'm really not. Seeing Xavier like that brought back memories....harsh memories that I never wanted to remember.

I don't notice the tears falling from my eyes until Chresanto's hand touches my chin, lifting my head as he wipes them away.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He asks.

I shake my head.

He nods. "I understand. If you ever want to talk, I'm here." He tells me softly.

I smile. "Can we go back in?"

He nods. "Yeah. Just...one thing first." He leans down and presses his lips to mine.

The kiss is soft and sweet, like all of his kisses.

"I love you." He mumbles as he pulls away.

I smile. "I love you too."

He takes my hand and together, we reenter the house, going back to the dinner table.

Xavier eyes me across the table and I glance at Chres and drop my gaze.

He seems to catch my discomfort, his hand finding mine and holding it firmly as he gives a reassuring squeeze.

"So Ava...remind me again why you and Xavier broke up." Tasha says.

I can see Chresanto roll his eyes. "So Tasha, shut up for us...will ya?"

"Why? Afraid to hear about Xavier Jr?" Tasha retorts.

I stiffen in my chair as Chresanto glances over at me with a confused expression.

"Xavier Jr.?" He asks.

---

What's the story behind Xavier Jr?

What's gonna happen next?

Hmm....