Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Who's this?" The woman asks as she steps into the house.

Her eyes are on me so I know that I am the subject of her conversation.

"I'm Chresanto, her boyfriend." I say.

She smiles. "That's cute, still in the high school phase. This is my husband, Xavier."

I mentally roll my eyes. It's been two seconds and I am already irritated beyond belief by her presence.

"Um yeah...anyway...Ava can I talk to you?"

She nods, despite never speaking.

I take her hand and pull her to the side, down a hall. "How are you feeling love?" I ask.

She doesn't say anything. She just steps closer to me and lays her head on my chest.

I wrap my arms around her and rub her back.

"Your sister is a brat." I mumble. "But don't worry, we'll get through this together."

She nods and looks up at me. "I'm gonna need another one of those stress relievers." She says.

I smirk. "Bet."

I peck her lips and we head to the kitchen, where Mr. Aliguar now glares at Xavier.

"Never liked yo dumb ass." He mumbles where Xavier cannot hear him.

Xavier now holds the little girl, her head resting on his shoulder as she continues to sleep.

A small chuckle leaves my lips at Mr. Aliguar's words.

He looks up at me and I clear my throat, walking over to a free chair.

Ava's sister has taken over the job Ava was doing and I take a seat, pulling Ava onto my lap.

She doesn't speak. She just rests her head on my chest, turning away from Xavier.

I glance down at her and lean close to her ear. "You okay?" I ask.

She nods. "I'm just...not feeling well." She says.

I rub her back. "Maybe you should go lay back down." I suggest.

Before she can respond, her mother sets two plates down in front of me.

Ava climbs off my lap and seats herself in the chair beside me. I lean over and press a kiss to her forehead.

After Diane places the rest of the plates, she seats herself next to her husband and Ali does the same.

Once we start our meals, Ali looks up at me. I glance over at Ava as she picks around in her food. Xavier watches her carefully and I clear my throat, making his gaze shift to me. He excuses himself to go lay his daughter down and returns silently.

"So, what do you do for a living Chresent roll?" Ali asks me.

"Chresanto." I correct. "And I work at a book store."

Something of a snort leaves her lips. "That's...nice. Xavier runs his own construction company."

I mentally roll my eyes again. "Um..okay?" I shrug. "Do what makes you happy, I guess."

"So stocking shelves at a book store for the rest of your life is your idea of happy?" Ali asks with a laugh.

My fork stills in my hand and I look up at her. "No, working at a book store, while it is pretty fun, is not my idea of being happy. Ava is my idea of being happy." I smile over at Ava and she looks up from her plate for the first time, smiling back as she leans over and pecks my lips.