Chapter 3

A pair forged in pain isn't perfect.

Their ascent had been tedious, with the climb out of the depths of the earth at a steep incline, but the end was drawing near. They scaled the edge of the drop off and stood warily in an extensive tunnel which lead into the original mine shaft, which then opened to the desert beyond. They needn't stumble in the dark, as Sam lit the way, his hands glowing a sickly green. In fact, Sam had to shed light on the climb as well.

Drake didn't hate the light anymore. It was now a tool of the Gaiaphage, one of its' weapons, its' prodigies. And it was also a tool of Sam Temple, whom his feelings of hate towards had dissipated. It was almost like the pain he had caused never existed. The light, and Sam, now carried connotations of love. What little love was left in the FAYZ, Drake was sure this was it. Love for Sam, and love for their god.

But he wasn't without hate. He hated the sun light, which was now screaming into his eyes with intense ferocity as he stood, toes in the desert and body in the cave. He hissed, and squeezed his eyes shut. It hurt, back in his brain, like the hurt of his master.

Sam was recoiling as well, the once familiar light of day now rejected by his clouded and shadowed mind. How many days, maybe weeks, had they spent in almost complete darkness? The only light to be had was from their master.

Truthfully, Sam could have made light. But he didn't want to, didn't feel the need. His master's light was all he needed. He smiled, lips pulled into a shaky grin. Now his own light was also the light of the Gaiaphage. That thought comforted him greatly, and he was able to open his eyes.

Their vision eventually adjusted and they stepped fully out of the cave. The desert hadn't changed, still rolling with rocky and sandy dunes, dappled here and there with scrub bushes. "Good morning, Vietnam!" Drake whooped, grinning, because it felt like he was addressing a war zone. He appreciated his time spent with the Gaiaphage, but this was where he belonged. Out here, to wreak havoc all in the name of his master. It was fun.

Besides, Drake's master would never truly leave him. He felt it's consciousness touch his mind every now and again, and he was always overwhelmed with mostly positive feelings. He could tell that Sam felt the same.

"Well, let's get you fed. How does coyote sound? Better than fingers." Drake cracked his whip in anticipation. He missed killing. And he missed Sam when he was well fed.

This Sam appeared weak, practically half starved, which didn't seem right for the once leader of Perdido Beach. It just didn't fit. Drake missed Sam's spark, which would need some replenishing in the form of food, but was there nonetheless. He supposed it was because Sam needed it to break, and without it there was nothing to hurt. Or to love. Somethings, like Drakes sadism, would never change, but now that he had finally found something to love, he didn't want it to hurt. Not really. He already had enough pain from Sam, and didn't need it to love him. Now, It was time for the brunette to rise to his potential, to what he used to be, and to what the blonde loved him for.

But Drake knew, better than anybody, that the hurt in Sam's eyes would never go away for good. It didn't for anybody, not after the Gaiaphage. Sam would never be the same, but come to think of it, Drake wouldn't either.

Oh, his master. It was so powerful! He loved it, for it had given him everything he had to love. And he feared it. But, it was just the leader he had needed, just the influence. Just the purpose.

Speaking of purpose, it was time to get work done. Now that they had left the cave to embark for their master, there were so many possibilities! It wouldn't take them long to find a coyote, and sure enough, they only had to walk about twenty paces before one came out of the brush.