Ch.4

Owen's POV

"What do you mean I can't play!!??" I yelled at Coach.

"I didn't say you couldn't play. I said, 'You can't play if your grades don't come up.'"

"But- that's not fair, Coach!" I raised my voice. He glared at me and responded,

"Listen, Owen. I really need you to play this season, I think you should talk to your parents about this. See what they think."

"My grades aren't that bad, though. Why can't I just play? I'll probably just get a scholarship for football anyways," I complained.

"Owen, I'm not being mean here, really. Your teachers think that it's for the best as well. And, you have an F in English, that's not..." he paused, "that's not the best."

"I-"

"No. No more complaining. Go home, Mister Grady. Talk to your parents, and study for whatever class you have."

I stood up and grunted. I took the bus home, and sagged into my kitchen, where my mom was cooking dinner.

"Smells good," I sighed.

"It's your favorite," she smiled. "I thought you be more excited about it... Is everything ok?"

I shook my head and sighed, "Coach said I couldn't play if I don't get my grades up..."

My mother nearly dropped the spoon, as she spun around to face me.

"Owen...." she sighed, "why'd you let your grades slip so far? I told you that you have to keep them up... And now look what happened."

"Mom, I'm sorry. I know that I deserve it, and I'm not looking for a lecture. I need help, mom. What do I do?" I pleaded for her help.

"Maybe you could get a tutor," she suggested.

"Like who?"

"Maybe that girl that you used to be friends with... what was her name?" she pondered. "Claire! That was it!"

"Claire? I-I don't think that will be the best idea.." I trailed off.

"Isn't she smart?"

"Yes, she is really smart.. but I don't know if-"

"Owen, if you want your grades to come up so you can play, I suggest you ask her for some help."

"Fine, fine..."

"Do it for football!" She cheered. She turned back to dinner, and I sighed.

I was going to ask Claire freaking Dearing if she would be willing to tutor me.

This is going to be one hell of a day tomorrow.