Chapter 2

Caleb

Ah damn, why did my mother have to change her mind and assign me as Scarlet's mentor? I've never mentored anyone in my experience. I've always worked alone. Now I have to look after this said prodigy.

This...really cute girl. Her hair, black as a crow, and skin pale and smooth. Her lip color really popped out, and her smile was wide, but fragile.

How am I supposed to keep myself restrained?

I kept staring at her, she was practically glowing. I hadn't realized how long I've been staring until my mother broke the awkward silence I've caused.

"Scarlet, your work starts today if that's fine. You can help Caleb in his upcoming fall collection." That made me snap back and obtain my thoughts.

"Oh yea, I'll let you see my stuff, and feel free to ask anything." I said, scratching my head.

"T-That'll be great!" She said pulling out what I assumed was her sketch book, for it had a leather cover and page organizers.

I have her a smile and motioned for her to follow me into my work space, which was on the basement level. I had the whole floor to myself.

The elevator door opened right into the huge room with racks of fabric, my design layout board, sewing station, etc.

"This is where the magic happens," I announced, and I noticed that she was looking around like a child in awe, "do you like it?"

She turned her face towards me, her face still in a bit of a shock.

"It's awesome! I've never seen a studio as big as this one." Her remark made me grin. I led her over to a large table, next to the layout board, and showed her a half-finished dress I had been working on.

"This is what I've been working on," her glance changed from the ceiling to the mannequin, "any thoughts?" I asked. She raised her hand to her chin and gave it a scrutinizing look.

"Hm...Woman like to enhance their bodies as much as they can through clothing. I love the silky-red fabric, for its very hard to work with, but it's not form-fitting enough." This made my eyebrows rise.

"Maybe bring in the waist line, and shorten the skirt a bit. Also the straps are too thick for the v-cut." Her stare was still on the dress.

I was speechless. When she noticed that I had not responded, she looked up at me.

"Oh I'm sorry! I didn't mean to pick at it so intensely. It's a beautiful dress." She rushed her words in a apologetic manner.

I laughed. She was cute when she's embarrassed.

"No no", I began, "it's just that no one has really given me such criticism, other than my mother." She started to blush. My body started to heat up.

This girl is interesting.

Scarlet

I can't believe I criticized his dress. He's my mentor, I'm supposed to be learning from him.

He started to come towards me, his face leaning closer to mine. Is he going to make a move on me? His face keeps coming closer to mine, but stops just inches apart. His piercing, blue eyes stared right into mine. I could feel my heart rate increasing.

"Let's see what you've got, Scarlet." He said in a low, quiet tone. I froze as he took my sketch book and started rummaging through the pages.

He stopped on one and nodded to himself as though he was impressed by something. He lifted the book to my face, revealing the design I had made not too long ago.

"Make this," he began, "impress me some more." He still grinning.

It was an black evening gown with intricate lacing down the sleeves.

"I'll be back in a couple of hours," he said heading towards the door.

But this design would take at least a day!

"Let's see what you can do in a limited amount of time", he smirked while heading towards the elevator. "Oh and you can use as much fabric as you want from the racks."

And with that, the elevator doors closed.

*******************

The past couple hours seemed to fly by, for I had been working like a cheetah. Although, my dress was done. I was about to go through some last minute checks for hanging threads, uneven cutting, etc, until I heard the elevator doors ring. Damn, Caleb's back already.

"Well, well," he grinned at me, walking towards the dressed mannequin.

My hands were shaking. He was looking at the dress just as intently as I looked at his. Was he going to say something bad for revenge?

He looked at it up and down, and even up closer at the details for multiple moments. Then, he looked back at me.

"Try it on," he blurted out.

"Huh?"

He unzipped the dress off of the mannequin and handed me the dress.

"There's a bathroom in the room next door." He said pointing in the direction on the opposite end of the room, at another metal door.

I did as I was told and put on the dress. Although, my intention wasn't to make the dress with my own measurements, but it seemed to fit as I wanted it to on a model.

I walked back into the studio room in the dress. Caleb was viewing his layout board, not noticing my entrance.

"Ahem."

I glanced at me, then his expression went from surprised, to staring once more. I just stood there, a bit uncomfortable with him looking at me like I was someone he hasn't seen in a lifetime.

He slowly came towards me, looking at the dress, then at me. I still did not move.

"You're beautiful," I heard him murmur, or at least that's what I thought he said.

"Hm?" I asked for a re-clarification. He cleared his throat.

"Oh um, yea good job." He said. "It looks exactly like your design in the sketch book." His eyes still on the dress, refusing to look me in the eyes.

"But uh, the length is a bit long." He added.

"Yea sorry, I didn't mean to make this dress for me. I'm not as tall as a model." Did I just say that? It sounded like I was being smart with him. I hope he didn't take that in a rude way.

"Yea, I figured." He said.

This atmosphere just got a bit awkward. You made him feel bad, dammit Scarlet.

"Um well thank you," I began, "I'll just take it off now." I headed back towards the bathroom.

"Yea go ahead." He said turning his back facing me.