Chapter 2: "why does the world hate me?"

Chapter 2
Why does the world hate me?

I stared as the professor before me went on and on about having a healthy diet. My eyes were half closed due to being up all night from Jace's cries. At one point my eyes fully closed for a few minutes until I was awoken by a shout.

"Miss Harper! Are you sleeping in my class?" My eyes shoot open and I stutter out,

"N-no Sir."

"If my lessons are too boring for you then you shouldn't even be here." He gives me one last glance before going back to his lecture. I sink a little in my seat as everyone looks at me but slowly they focus on the lecture again.

When the bell rings I pack up all of my stuff and start to leave. The moment I step foot out of the classroom I hear that infuriating voice.

"I didn't know you were in this class cupcake." I turn around and narrow my eyes at him.

"Firstly, don't call me that. Secondly, why are you here? I don't fall for stalkers."

"Actually cupcake, I'm just waiting for a friend. But I would gladly transfer here now that I know you're in this class." Jayden winks at me and I roll my eyes.

Just then, Caleb walks out of the class. I vaguely recognised him as he messed around during the lectures sometimes, but that's about it.

"Jayden, who is this lovely girl you failed to mention to me?" He turns towards me. "The names Caleb Harrison, but you can call me daddy." He winks at me and I shrivel in disgust.

"No thanks. I'd much rather go out with a gorilla. At least they look more appealing than you." His jaw drops in shock as he splutters,

"I look much better than a gorilla! Tell her Jayden!" He turns towards Jayden who shrugs.

"Sorry dude, she's right." He smirks and I let out a small laugh. Caleb glares at the both of us before crossing his arms and pouting.

"I hate you guys." He grunts.

"Love you too buddy."

"As amusing as this was, I need to go."

"Wait, I still haven't caught your name." Jayden says.

"That's because I didn't throw it." And with that statement, I turn around and head out of the university.

•••

I want to throw myself off a cliff.

Why does the world hate me? Why does Jayden Thomas have to be here, of all places and all fucking days?

I didn't notice him at first, I was just doing my job, waiting tables and taking orders. This place was decent and I got great tips, so I didn't mind working here. And then my boss told me to take the order of table 5, because it was a party of 4 and we were short staffed. And that's when I noticed him.

I turned to my boss.

"Can't you get Jenna or someone to take this table?" I pleaded.