Chapter 8

My steps were slow and measured. Each one the same length as the one previous. It was satisfying—controlled. That, paired with the clicking of my heels on the tiled floor, was a concoction for total bliss. It doesn't make sense, but it works. It calmed the storm brewing inside my head.

 Just then there was a scream. It made something cold run through me and planted me on the spot. I lifted my head slowly, turning it to the right at the closed door that the scream was echoing behind. I planted myself where I was, not moving a muscle and willing myself not to go toward the door.

 I closed my eyes, the scream getting louder and I exhaled, my shoulders relaxing.

 There was the sound of multiple feet against the ground. The vibrations trembled against the tiles and ran through me. My hair whipped around me suddenly, the speed of the doctors rushing around me and busting through the door, being the cause of that.

 The door opened and I spotted a girl laying—no, strapped against a hospital bed. She was struggling against the ties, tears running down her face and her hair sticking against her wet face.

 I tensed, looking away and forcing myself to take a step. My feet felt like they were cemented to the floor and I gritted my teeth together.

 This is not your fight.

 “Not my fight,” so I walked away.

 Death and pain and sorrow. Those are some of the reasons why people tend to hate hospitals. They hated the constant reminder of death. That there are countless amounts of lives that have been lost in these facilities and countess others that are stuck in a state of mind that keeps them in here for years.

 People hated to accept the fact that it was so easy to die. That you can be here one second and gone the next. They were terrified of it. Then there was the uncertainty. Not knowing what happens after death. Do you go to heaven? A place of tranquil and peace. Or are you summoned to hell? Being consumed by fire for the rest of eternity—miserable and tormented. Do you come back in another life? Maybe as a newborn, a dog, or a bird. Or are you void? You don't exist. You and your soul just disappears off the face of the earth.

 There are theories of the afterlife. Theories that only a few are willing to test themselves, despite knowing they won't be coming back to tell the world.

 I never cared for hospitals. Nor death. Nor the afterlife. None of those concerned me. I didn't care for the people in hospitals. I was never afraid of death. And I don't care where I go after I die. Truth be told, I already know where I'm going to be, it wasn't questionable.

 Walking up to the door, I reached out and twisted the knob before pushing it open and walking in. Closing the door behind me, I kept my eyes on the figure laying on the bed.

 His chest was rising and falling at a steady pace and as I started walking closer, I noticed the thing on his face—covering his mouth and nose.

 I sighed, walking up next to him and tilting my head as I looked down at him. His eyes were closed, but he wasn't sleeping.

 “Open your eyes,” I said lowly.

 His eyes snapped open and the heart monitor started going wild. His chest started heaving and his body was jerking around wildly. With his head jerking back and forth, his wide, brown eyes were terrified.